Converter

waxman

YES, the factory converter only charges at a couple of amps, so your generator would need to run for hours. A modern 3 stage converter will charge at 30-90 amps depending on the converter, so your generator won't have to run as long. Most of us have 45 or 60 amp converters

I will add my opinion = a new converter would be nice - however depending how often you use your rv, the payback could be a long long time. Essentially you are weighing the cost & aggravation of upgrading a converter versus the extra run time on a generator.

So far I have decided to leave mine stock. I am thinking of upgrading the reading lights to LED to make life easier on my house battery/ charging.

These , http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VLFENE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1 , work great, and the price is real good. This link was originally posted by someone else here a while ago. I was so happy with the first 10 I ordered 10 more and converted the turn and back-up lites also. Now I have the top clearence lites LED's also, I think I'm done.

I got this one , http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series-Upgrade-Kits_c_133.html , the "charge wizard" isn't , in my opinion. But this one has a LED that tells you what voltage it's outputing AND a small push button so you can set it to which of the 3 voltage levels you want. Handy for using it to charge both batteries at once, which I do in winter sometimes.

I was initally unhappy with the way the "wizard" worked but found out all the manufacturers of these type converters all work the same, all buying the same control chips methinks. Anyway since you can manually control the output this way it's a moot point.