Mexico travel?

toyohome

There is an interesting blog about traveling in a vw westfalia. It is quite enjoyable reading, and you can find it by searching "drive nacho drive"

They begin their adventure in Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

we have driven top to bottom and east to west of mexico since 1991 in an RV. (not always the same one!) from ontario...about 6k kilometers each way(4k miles)

Currently we are in San Agustinio Oaxaca on the beach enjoying cheap fish & good beer & non-canadian weather.

A good site re: info about this area is tomzap.com

camping info is available from 'camping in mexico' (i think thats the title) by the Churches.

get a copy of Guida Roja 2013 for maps routes and distances.

I havent driven the Toy down here (yet) but our ford e350 now lives here cause we bought some beachfront property for it!( we flew this year)

we have never had problems with narco/terrorist/robbers etc. BUT occassionally a bit of trouble with corrupt officials...avoid Tampico (e coast veracruz) if you can as it seems the worse.

there are fewer MH travelers the past few years as the semi-hysterical press seems bent on scaring everyone.The only real instances of travellers in trouble were 2 cases of theft involving NEW 4WD fords/dodge trucks towing trailers,of course the trailers were ditched immediately.Again we've never had trouble with middle aged MH's (except the gas mileage)

Bueno Suarte,

Rad

Hi there,

we have driven top to bottom and east to west of mexico since 1991 in an RV. (not always the same one!) from ontario...about 6k kilometers each way(4k miles)

Currently we are in San Agustinio Oaxaca on the beach enjoying cheap fish & good beer & non-canadian weather.

A good site re: info about this area is tomzap.com

camping info is available from 'camping in mexico' (i think thats the title) by the Churches.

get a copy of Guida Roja 2013 for maps routes and distances.

I havent driven the Toy down here (yet) but our ford e350 now lives here cause we bought some beachfront property for it!( we flew this year)

we have never had problems with narco/terrorist/robbers etc. BUT occassionally a bit of trouble with corrupt officials...avoid Tampico (e coast veracruz) if you can as it seems the worse.

there are fewer MH travelers the past few years as the semi-hysterical press seems bent on scaring everyone.The only real instances of travellers in trouble were 2 cases of theft involving NEW 4WD fords/dodge trucks towing trailers,of course the trailers were ditched immediately.Again we've never had trouble with middle aged MH's (except the gas mileage)

Bueno Suarte,

Rad

Rad,

Thank you so much for your very helpful suggestions.

I am getting some factual information for a Toyo-trip down Baja and from what I see, the dangers and challenges are minimal. FWIW: I have been to and lived in about 45 foreign countries and have traveled the length of Mexico many times in years past. I have never had a serious problem in all my travels. The biggest problem I ever had was a case of diarrhea and petty thievery. Everything else has been wonderful experiences.

Opinions, and second, and third hand info isn't worth too much. First hand info is worth it's weight in gold. And yes, I too have dealt (successfully) with corrupt officials in Mexico. I am familiar with La Mordida. Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Toy home

We leave for Mexico today from Manitoba Canada .... In our 1990 Dolphin ..

Rad ... Hope to see you mid January ... PM me on your location

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in Mazatlan right now with my 1985 Toyota Dolphin traveling with my girlfriend. We drove all the way down from San Francisco, Ca through Baja and ferried to mainland Mexico. Trying to complete a road trip all the way to Chile. I've been trying to document all the hurdles and necessities of the drive on a blog. I hope it helps and/or encourages you to go for a Mexico trip!

http://followthewind.net/

Check out "The Journey" section. I'm still working on the mainland Mexico section but at least it will walk you through part of the travel.