Alternator not keeping up?

Pete1122

I took my first road trip today in my 1989 Warrior today, I noticed that with all my electronics running my alternator does not put out enough power to charge the house battery. This is with two laptops charging, a 1000 volt inverter, 10" Led monitor, DVD player, gaming chair, network hub and various USB chargers.

I guess I need to buy a bigger alternator? Or install solar panels to help supplement it?

Other suggestions?

Pete1122

Good point, my house battery is only a 55 amp hour AMG. Time to upgrade?

Thats smaller than a group 24, most Toy Rv's use group 27 or 29. When I replace my 27 I'm getting a group 29, it will just fit the battery box. So how big is your battery box?? maybe thats as big as you can fit??

I assume you meant a 1000 watt inverter?

john

The battery box on my 1989 Warrior is an outside compartment that only fits one battery. I plan on making a bigger box for that compartment and using two 6 volt Trojan batteries to give me 225 amp hours. Obviously my 55 amp hour Optima battery is not cutting it.

And yes, I mean 1000 watt inverter.

I think 100 watts solar and two27 size rv batteries is a start and then see how you go from there. Im not positive that you just dont drive enough for your electricity usage and you might need a generator.

Im not sure if you mean that when these things are plugged in the alternator idling is losing . Or it still is on the highway too. Need to get the voltage at the battery. if the alternator idling isnt enough but its working fine and thats the way you want to power our electronics, the expensive way.... Then you migh needa alternator with moreamps at idle.

100 watts in solar is never bad... If it doesnt make enough juice in the day for all your stuff it still makes some and then you take a break until the next day.

I have a low voltage laptop and a cell phone, and one size 27 deep cycle can cover using those all day, and the lights too.

the next day i might not make enough in solar to charge back what ive used in which case id just use the cell phone. the next day its almost definitely at full charge again. but what I have doesnt help you if you need a bigger load with the dvd or something.

but the theory is the same you just use it when its there and you dont when its not.

If you cant be flexible you need a generator.

youre going to get your biggest gains by figuring out whats rv friendly and what isnt.

eliminate a few things. I mean if you are living in an rv or even weekending in an rv how much electricity do you really need? None? very little?

Fortunately technology is meeting the toyhome halfway like 30 years later as electronics need so much less power ala the cell phone line of technology.

Thanks for the advice, I remodeled the Warrior with my twin teenage boys and 8 year old daughter in mind. That mean TONS of electronics and a hefty power requirement. On the road both twins are running gaming laptops and the daughter is using the gaming chair with the DVD and flat screen running. In addition my fridge is running off the inverter, not to mention a few other goodies.