furnace and hot water heater problems

nooga

We headed out for a four-days stay at beautiful Falls Creek Falls State Park on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee after making sure all our appliances were working. The first real winter cold front blew through the first night and we woke up freezing our behinds off. The furnace conked out and we couldn't restart it. Then we discovered that the hot water heater was on the fitzz. We could hear the furnace heating and could get hot water for about 20 seconds before it turned cold. I suspect an anode problem. Which brings me to my question: Is it easy to replace an anode in the water tank? Also any idea on why the furnace conked out after running fine when we first camped.

I don't think your anode has anything to do with your hot water working. All it does is prevent corrosion in your tank. If the tank is history a new anode won't help it. If the furnace and hot water heater bailed at the same time I would blame your propane regulator. Oil they use to make it stinky can sometimes clog regulator especially if you get from supplier who's almost out of propane. Bottom of the tank can dump excess oil. Or if your water heater is electric start maybe a battery problem. Need battery power to run igniter in both and the furnace fan.

Linda S

hey, new member here. i have an 83 dolphin that was towed off the playa after burning man in 2012. the engine is great (after cleaning out the carb) but the camper part was trashed. i've done a couple months of refurbishing and i'm down to the last few details that i'm not sure about. first, the heater wall heater in the back doesn't fire. anyone have some steps to take on figuring this out? instructions are worn off. stove works great and propane flow seems good. second, the water heater hasn't worked since i've started my relationship with the ol' dolphin. don't know about water heaters, so i'm asking for advice if anyone has the time. thanks…t.

HI Tobias,

I am a tenderfoot here (graduated up from newbie) and can vouch for the great help available from these fine folks. I would suggest that you search the archives (function at top of page) for older threads that mention your problems. Good Luck!