New owner - '86 coachmen

tim05766

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I considered buying an '86 Toyota Coachman. I took the plunge last night and brought her home for $3600. only 75K on the odometer. Cab looks great + it runs well, considering. Exterior paint, interior woodwork and upholstery are showing their age, but still servicable. The only major issue was a leak in the side wall over the cab and about a foot and a half radius around the TV antenna hole in the roof. Previous owner had recently painted the roof, but these 2 spots are soaked, so I'm tearing them out to make sure it is fixed and keep the problem from spreading. Planning to re-upholster, paint, + put in a new floor at least.

Plugged it in last night and the lighting, fridge, and AC appear to work. I'm realizing that I don't know what I'm doing, but that never stopped me before. I do have a few newbie questions:

Is there a good book/website/etc. for newbies to learn about RV power/water/gas systems? I built, wired, + plumbed my own house, and have rebuilt gas grills and done mechanical work, so I'm not completely lost - I just don't know anything about how RV's are set up.

Anything I should know before I damage something?

Power: Is it OK to plug into 120 without a battery installed? Hope so, as I've already done so!

Water: I watched some videos, so I know how to empty the tanks, but I just have to track down the plumbing + figure out how it works in this rig- any tips?

Gas: I didn't really think about it until last night, but these must have a built in tank(?). Does this need to be replaced due to OPD valve requirements?

I'll have to get my dad to come over, as he has a class A RV and knows way more than I do about this, but I don't see him often. Anyway, I appreciate any tips you can pass on!

-Tim

the rv needs to be level before running the fridge running out of level parked is known to and will kill the frigs big money damage. the horizontal lay down propane tank does not have to be opd must be recertified by bulk tank gas plant most time 5 dollars for a 5 year sticker.