Heater questions, help please?

Debbit

Our furnace lights, wall thermostat works, it blows lots of hot air. It squeals like a banshee though. I've tried to get some lube in the shaft of the squirrel cage, but it only helps a little while. Rv store says the motor needs to be replaced, bearings are not replaceable.

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to replace the motor, or spend the money on a mr buddy. We usually don't camp where there is shore power, and I'm concerned the blower would drain the battery even if it were replaced.

So, how fast do the furnace motors drain the house battery?

If your rig hadn't been used in a while the furnace might get better with use. Mine screamed like crazy when I bought it but quieted down after a while. I have never done a thing to it and now it just makes the fan noise. Well it might make a little noise beginning of the cold season but not for long. try leaving it plugged in at your house and letting it run a couple of nights. Worth a little propane to see if it will loosen up.

Linda S

I did exactly what Karin suggested. I replaced the blower (expensive) and I also use a Mr Buddy.

Look on e-bay and also Google the part number, I believe the problem was an original design, they used a poor quality oi-lite bearing, and it just doesn't hold up. I believe JD had some luck re-oiling his Probably if you have access to a machine shop you could install remote grease fittings on the bearings, or replace the bearings with better quality. I believe there was also so thought about seeing if he could locate a suitable motor that would work, for about 1/3 the price. No new word on this.

Anyway, here is a link to where I replaced my blower.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3520

As for the Mr Buddy. I've used it last winter and am happy with the results. Keep in mind it dumps a lot of moisture into the room, you also need to keep a vent open for exhaust and fresh air.

Here is a link to how I modified the Mr Buddy to allow it to use the house low pressure propane. WARNING - Do this mod at your risk. If your nott comfortable creating a propane bomb inside your motor home, then don't do this.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4328

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks ya'll. the rv store also said I'd probably not be able to put the motor in it in either. We have a big old really hot thermex heater, but I don't want it taking up floor space and running propane to it.

I think mr buddy this trip. Furnace later. And I will let it run a while too.