I just completed my epic 2,000 mile trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons. I learned a great deal about my ToyHome and her limitations (I'm looking at you, Teton Pass). But yesterday I was ready to sell it the moment I got home...if I survived the last leg of the trip.

The issues started near Pendleton, Oregon. The headwind was incredible. It was a strain to keep the Dolphin at 55 on the freeway, even though it has the V6. Overdrive was off the entire time because that 4th gear just wasn't happening.

Things got much worse. Every time a truck would pass me the vehicle would border on losing control. Semi trucks + gusty crosswinds + corners? A true nightmare. My wife was a wreck and hated every moment.

Hours of white knuckled driving later, we made it to Hood River. The winds were still blowing at 30+ mph, and the Columbia Gorge made the turbulence almost unbearable. I was certain we'd blow over at some point. I decided that maybe I should add air to the air bag system. I'd had it at 70psi for much of the trip based on a few posts I saw here. Perhaps added pressure would increase stability.

When I went to add air there was a new problem. It wouldn't take any on the driver side. In fact, it had leaked during this process and was now stuck at 40psi. I had no choice but to lower the opposite side to 40psi. I watched as the vehicle lowered by the second. Now I thought I'd really be in trouble.

I got back on Interstate 84 and discovered that after 2,000 miles I had a brand new vehicle. It felt like I was driving a German car compared to what I'd endured over most of the trip. Corners were easy. Trucks passing? Not a problem. Nasty crosswinds? Meh.

It seems that having all of that added elevation on the back side had increased drag, slowed me down, and made my Dolphin a top heavy nightmare.

Good post! The higher the pressure the stiffer the ride is what I always heard.

I keep mine between 40-60 psi. I have to turn the wheel slightly left when a 18 wheeler passes me on the highway on my left, was scary at first but second nature now.

On our 91 Dolphin I drove it home totaly empty from Idahoe with 90 in the airbags and 65 in the really old tires. I did not think there was anything wrong with my shocks, but the shackle bushings were visibly gone. When I took it to Les Schwab for brakes and a lot of work they said the shocks and steering dampener needed to be done also. when I got it back it seemed to ride a little rougher but what a huge difference in sway at freeway speeds and even around town. That remains even with the bags down to 20, the min. I am using 40 in them now all the time, and 47 / 53 in the tires. Higher than recommended, but still rides ok.
The only time I put 90 # in the bags now is to work under it. :)
JC

There is no magic PSI for airbags. I've always used enough pressure to make the Toy sit level. OR maybe just a tiny bit high in the rear, but no stink bug stance

So set the airpressure as the last thing before you leave.

P.S. Good shackle/spring bushings are VERY important to ride and handling

On our 91 Dolphin I drove it home totaly empty from Idahoe with 90 in the airbags and 65 in the really old tires. I did not think there was anything wrong with my shocks, but the shackle bushings were visibly gone. When I took it to Les Schwab for brakes and a lot of work they said the shocks and steering dampner needed to be done also. when I got it back it seemed to ride a little rougher but what a huge difference in sway at freeway speeds and even around town. That remains even with the bags down to 20, the min. I am using 40 in them now all the time, and 47 / 53 in the tires. Higher than recommended, but still rides ok.

The only time I put 90 # in the bags now is to work under it. :)

JC

How much did Les Schwab charge for the work?