Question for Linda S (or et. al.) HW exchange type heater

zero

I pulled the cover off this SeaWardAtwood 6 gallon hot water heater with the extra heat-exchanger (to hook to the truck engine). I was expecting to find a heating tube maybe going through a tunnel in the water tank with no potential coolant-to-domestic-water contact. NOPE. The engine-coolant exchanger hoses go directly inside the water-tank. I.e. the coils are immersed in domestic water. That looks to me like it poses a toxic danger?? What happens if the exchanger loop develops a leak internally? It would be dumping toxic ehtylene glycol into the domestic water.

I'm kind of amazed that any company would risk building something like this - unless I'm missing something here. I could see it if the truck engine was required to use non-toxic anti-freeze maybe. That's the way household heating with hot-water works.

I assuming that there is some factor here I am overlooking . . but what??

post-6578-0-76178200-1378051217_thumb.jp

Well I don't know. I just heard that they existed and thought they might work well in my Tiger. Winnebago used this type of water heater on the Rialta too and I certainly don't think they shipped them with only water in the radiator. These are the most common type of water heater used on larger boats too. I have never actually looked at one in person.

Linda S

Yup I guess it does happen. Found this review immediately

Seaward 11 Gal Water heater

It appears the heat exchanger is leaking antifreeze into the hot water supply. Can a heat exchanger be replaced or am I required to buy another water heater?

I am trying to avoid replacing the water heater because the water tank would have to be removed to allow room for removal and installation of a new hot water heater.

Submitted by: Don
Maybe I'll stop looking for one. Not a danger I would like to deal with

If I was using a heater like this in an RV, I'd be using a non-toxic antifreeze/coolant in the engine e.g. propylene glycol. I can't say I know much about it though. Standard anti-freeze is highly toxic and a makes the cooling system less efficient as opposed to using pure water. But due to freezing and corrosion problems (especially with aluminum heads) - pure water is not a great idea. I don't know anything in regard to heat-carrying specs on propylene glycol.

Yeah I have seen them on a little more modern MH's and had the same question. Propylene glycol when exposed to heat and air can become rather corrosive so I don't think it would be a good thing in an engine and I believe the boiling point is lower also. I wondered why they did not wrap the tanks instead of putting the exchanger inside shoot 180-200* should be more then enough direct contact to heat the water.

Yeah I thought they worked by the engine coolant circulating outside the water tank. maybe I'll just find one of those Girard ones instead. The depth is my problem. The surburban 3 or 4 gallon ones are no longer made and that is what is supposed to go there. The few left for sale now cost more than they did when they were still making them. Gonna sell the Tiger anyway. Maybe I'll let the next owner worry about it but my sale price will take a hit

Linda S

Was looking through Winnebago parts diagrams looking for something else and saw that in 86 at least the Toyota based Warrior came with the motoraid Atwood water heater. I have never heard anyone even mention that before. No other water heater listed, only the Motoraid one

Linda S