Propane Tanks: Umm...how in the *#&@(?

paulnptld

Three weeks into the ownership of my Dolphin I've discovered that the propane tank is something of a mystery to a newbie like myself. So:

1) Where do I get these refilled?

2) How do you remove it? Is that even necessary?

3) Why does it look like it's just a moment away from blowing up? Should I be upgrading this in some way?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

post-7306-0-41047600-1376951901_thumb.jp

With my tank, side mounted, there is no getting it out. Not for a regular refill, anyway. Not sure how the Dolphins are set up. I was told by the local propane place that they would fill it, but they'd have to charge me for the full 20#, because they don't have a gauge, they just weigh the tanks. So if they can't pull it out to weigh it...

He said it would be best to bring it in totally empty, or expect to pay for more than they actually put in. But the local Uhaul place can measure how much they put it, so no big deal.

I would guess the Dolphins have just one or two bolts, maybe with wing nuts, that come off pretty easily. But I don't know...

And if the old tank really worries you, either get it re-certified, or get a new one.

I was surprised when I went to get my tank refilled. Just bought an 84 dolphin. The tank is on its side and is strapped in with a metal strap and a snap down buckle. It was padlocked in, but I took the lock off. The guy at the propane refill place couldn't refill without taking it out, it was such a tight fit he couldn't attach the hose. Mine has a gauge, but you can't really see it. Then he had to heft it back in, and that seemed very difficult as well.

I was surprised when I went to get my tank refilled. Just bought an 84 dolphin. The tank is on its side and is strapped in with a metal strap and a snap down buckle. It was padlocked in, but I took the lock off. The guy at the propane refill place couldn't refill without taking it out, it was such a tight fit he couldn't attach the hose. Mine has a gauge, but you can't really see it. Then he had to heft it back in, and that seemed very difficult as well.

Once it was out was it just a standard hook up from there?

Yours is a Horizontal tank. DO NOT use a standard BBQ tank in its place. BBQs are used vertically, yours is used horizontally.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

There is a bleeder valve on the tank that has to be opened in order to fill it it is a special horizontal tank if they can get their fitting on the tank your smiling if not it's got to come out. Most places that fill a 20# tank will charge you for 20# even if it is not empty. What ever you do don't let them sell you a standard exchange tank fill the one you have the standard BBQ tanks can not be on their side

With my tank, side mounted, there is no getting it out. Not for a regular refill, anyway. Not sure how the Dolphins are set up. I was told by the local propane place that they would fill it, but they'd have to charge me for the full 20#, because they don't have a gauge, they just weigh the tanks. So if they can't pull it out to weigh it...

He said it would be best to bring it in totally empty, or expect to pay for more than they actually put in. But the local Uhaul place can measure how much they put it, so no big deal.

I would guess the Dolphins have just one or two bolts, maybe with wing nuts, that come off pretty easily. But I don't know...

And if the old tank really worries you, either get it re-certified, or get a new one.

If your tank is a saddle mount it most likely is 30# let them fill it for the price of a 20#! By the way they are full of it never seen a system with no gallon measure, propane is pumped into the tanks as a liquid. The horizontal 20# tanks can only be re-certified if the valve is off centered.

With your horizontally mounted tank, it MUST be used horizontally and removed and filled vertically. My former Sunrader has two 20 lb tanks mounted horizontally and yes it was a pain to remove and replace them in their compartment. I replaced the original tanks with the OPD valve new ones so I wouldn't have a hassle at some fill stations because of the valves.

post-481-0-66607400-1376970860_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-08219500-1376970885_thumb.jpg

Once it was out was it just a standard hook up from there?

Yes, it was. But it was tricky for him to get it back in. It looked hard, and I felt bad. Maybe someone else who was more experienced with RVs could have filled it without removing it, I don't know.

I never thought anything about filling up the horizontal dual tanks in our Sunradar, since the first time I had them filled up (in Oregon by a gas station), they just filled them up without removing them. It was not until I needed to get them filled up the next time, that all 3 places I went to in the SF Bay area wanted to remove my tanks. I ended up making an adapter that I now have the stations use to fill up my tanks. One place I took our RV to made the comment that it was cheating. I will post a picture of it this weekend.

Okay, the best way to make an adapter is just to buy the following propane adapter tee from Mr. Heater (P/N F273751), http://mrheater.com/Product.aspx?id=85&catid=357 .

The finished product should like the following picture after it is modified (per the picture).

post-2114-0-88936900-1377497709_thumb.pn

Now no more removing the tanks to fill them!

Note: A picture of my Sunrader propane tanks for reference.

post-2114-0-55859500-1377496838_thumb.jp

I never thought anything about filling up the horizontal dual tanks in our Sunradar, since the first time I had them filled up (in Oregon by a gas station), they just filled them up without removing them. It was not until I needed to get them filled up the next time, that all 3 places I went to in the SF Bay area wanted to remove my tanks. I ended up making an adapter that I now have the stations use to fill up my tanks. One place I took our RV to made the comment that it was cheating. I will post a picture of it this weekend.

WOW! I see what you mean by a hassle to remove them. It looks like they're actually bolted to the floor and a rod! The tanks in my former Sunrader just had a bar that passed in front of them and kept them locked in place. Only one wing nut to remove both (see above pics). Someday on the road you may encounter someone who will balk at your fill adapter. Some places won't fill them because of the valve even though we are exempt from the OPD rule. Smart thinking though.

The Other Allen

Hi team, my '75 Chinook has a small tank mounted horizontally & would be a giant hassle to remove..I was wondering if anyone ever made an adapter to fill this little chassis mount tank by using a hose with the old style POL fitting on both end's & filled it from say a 30 or 40 pound tank by inverting the full tank so liquid would then transfer into the smaller chassis mount tank.. There is a valve to open to let you know when it is full.........I have seen guy's fill one pound cylinder's this way......anyone care to comment? .........Donnie

I made one to use in an emergency, but have never used it. Its a 3 ft piece of hose that has an ACME quick disconnect on both ends, with the reverse flow valves removed. I can use a standard BBQ tank upside down, and feed liquid to my horizontal tank. Open the valves on both tanks, open the bleeder valve on the horiz tank. Obviously, try and do this so fumes go downwind, no open flames, no ignition sources, etc.

My horiz tank is very easy to remove, so refill is not a problem ( It looks like standard BBQ tank). I also use the BBQ tank when I'm parked for any length. I place the BBQ tank on the ground next to the LP compartment, disconnect the hose from the horiz tank and connect it to the BBQ tank.

As with all things propane, you need to be comfortable that you've mitigated risks when doing this.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto