Has anyone replaced Dolphin water heater for 'on demand' model?

paulnptld

I've been intrigued by the aftermarket on demand systems for outside our RVs. Is there a simple way to swap out the internal water heater (which I believe has a 5 gallon tank) for a far more efficient on demand model?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Well that one costs a grand. There is also another one made by Girard and they run about 600. Almost twice the cost of a conventional rv water heater. There are much cheaper small electric water heaters but they usually use more amps than our power centers can handle. Also some very small propane heaters that are made to be used outdoors. It might be possible to install them where your current water heater is but put in a little fan to make sure it vents properly. I don't know tis for sure though and you always have to be careful with the propane stuff. Don't want you going Kaboom when you light your stove

Linda S

I've been intrigued by the aftermarket on demand systems for outside our RVs. Is there a simple way to swap out the internal water heater (which I believe has a 5 gallon tank) for a far more efficient on demand model?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The tankless heaters aren't really any more efficient then a well insulated tank-heater. But they DO save weight. Lots of hype in the advertising.

I've thought about putting one on my Chinook but only because we rarely need hot-water and I'd like to save a little weight.

I'm curious to see how it works out for you. The main down-side to tankless heaters is they lack conventional thermostats. Most work by a temperature rise and will heat any water that comes into them up to a certain temp. Not good if your input water is ice-cold. Also not good if your input water is already hot. Most tank heaters will heat hot water and waste energy.