i gotta big problem. Yesterday I had a blowout in my right outer dualie tire. I was able to limp her into a shop right off the highway, where we found out that I don't have the special tool to lower the spare out of the frame. Luckily, the guy had a used 195-14 tire to put on her.

Anyway, got back on the road, and as I was going along, I noticed that the road noise was getting louder and louder. I was close to the camp site, so I pulled in and got under her and saw that the inner dualie wheel was flat. WTH?

Anyway, I located a shop about 3 miles from the campground and proceeded to limp her over to the shop. The guy was just getting ready to close, but said he would fix it. So, he found the pinhole, plugged it up and I'm on my way.

So far I'm out $175 and I need at least one new tire, and I need to locate one of these extracting tools for the spare.

I went to work, then came back to the camp site later in the evening. No problems, but I'm really taking it easy on her since the roads around here suck and that used tire ain't the greatest. I figure I'll get through the weekend just shuttling back and forth to work and have the tire replaced on Monday. I'm on the road working and my little Toyota is my house and car when I'm out here.

Well about an hour ago, I got in her to go to work, started her up and drove off, and noticed what at first I thought was exhaust fumes. I'm like oh great, the blowout messed up my exhaust. But then I remembered the exhaust was on the left side. At this point I looked at the guages and saw that I had gone through a 1/4 tank of gas in a half mile. I immediately puled over and killed the engine.

I looked under the hood real quick to see if a line had come off or broken, but nothing there. I then went around to the passenger sice and looked underneath. She was leaving a trail of fuel about 6 inches wide, all the way down the road, and the frame rail on the side was coated in fuel from the passenger door to about where the rear wheels start. It was a mess.

Anyway, I grabbed the fire extinguisher and threw it in the front seat with me, immediately made an emergency u-turn and scurried back to the camp ground. Sure enough, I could see the trail I had left all the way back to my site.

I parked her and killed the engine and threw a couple of bucketfulls of water underneath her to dilute the fuel.

As of now, she seems to have stopped spewing fuel all over the place. I am thinking of starting her up to see if she starts doing it again, and if she does than I figure that the problem is either at or past the fuel pump. Shes also on a slight incline, with her rear end up in the air, so that may or may not be helping.

Where exactly is my fuel pump at? Is it an in-line pump on the fuel line or at the tank? or is it one of the old-school ones that runs off the engine? i gotta figure that the blowout either cracked it or a line, or loosened a clamp or something. She was running just fine, so it's not like the line was severed or something. And I don't think its the tank, because it seems to have stopped leaking with the engine off.

Anyway, I gotta get her fixed ASAP. I'm losing work because of this and that's not good. Also the guy that fixed the second tire is not cheap and he's the only guy in the area that works on heavy vehicles. If I can locate this leak and fix it myself before Monday morning, I would be way ahead of the game.

Anyone got any ideas or know where this pump is at? And are they readily available at a place like autozone? There's one a couple miles from here, and I'm thinking maybe I can bum a ride from another camper to the store. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. It's going to get dark soon, but I am going to try to ascertain the location of the leak before that. I'll keep this post on and refresh whenever I come back into the RV.

Thanks for reading. I know it's a long post and I'm sorry.

PS..its an 86 Gran Ville with a 22re

Ohh man, I just started her up and ran around the other side to take a look and fuel was coming out of her in a torrent, just forward of where the frame curves up over the axle. This is not good.

It this the general location of the fuel pump? I can't see anything that looks like one, so I'm assuming it's tucked inside the frame rail. Am I correct?

Fuel pump is in the tank. This is a photo of mine. This view is just in front of the rear passenger tire, looking up toward the top of the fuel tank. You can just make out where the fuel pump access plate is in top of the tank, thats where the hoses are connected.

I suspect the return line is damaged or broken (this comes from the fuel pressure regulator and returns fuel to the tank. If it is, you should be able to repair with hose clams, etc, as its low pressure

If it was the supply line, I don't think the engine would run.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-25921200-1376178334_thumb.jp

I located a shredded hose right at the front and alongside the tank. I think that's the culprit. I'm guessing its a fuel return line, since the vehicle runs fine. I can feel where it is shredded, but it was getting too dark to ascertain where it hooked into. Hopefully when day comes tomorrow I will be able to cut off a little of the hose, put it back where it goes and clamp it down. Then I can drive to a parts store and get a new hose and clamps. I'm about five miles from nowhere right now, so its either that or a long morning hike to the autozone. :(

Oops, sorry John I didn't see your post. It seems like its that return line, but, its further down the line, to the right of the pic you have. Looking at your pic I'm thinking I can't just trim the hose and limp to the store. That hose appears to be at least 18 inches long and it appears that the tear is somewhere in the middle of it. I won't know for sure until I can see the whole line.

This sucks. I have a five mile walk to the parts store tomorrow and I have to be at work at 1p. I hope I can get this diagnosed real fast and find someone here in this campground that will run me over to the store for some gas money or lunch or something.

OK I'm not real familiar with gas hoses. I assume that Autozone will have this stuff by the foot or something right? Is there a standard size or will I have to take the bad hose in for a match?

Autozone does sell fuel line and they sell it by the foot.

My gas mileage had been dropping on a long trip. I pulled over and noticed fuel dripping out from over my fuel tank.

Steered the camper into an Autozone parking lot and crawled underneath the motorhome. Found a four inch section of hose (believe it was between two connectors T going to generator and return to the tank) had a chunk missing, like something had been chewing on it.

At the counter, I showed the clerk what I needed. I bought a couple of feet (some extra for the road).

In about 10 minutes, I was ready to hit the road again.

Cool! Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out what the hell happened. I did have that blowout, but this is well forward of the axle. I couldn't see exactly what I had in my hands, but it felt like a rat chewed on it or something.

I'm gonna get under there first thing in the morning and take a hike to the Autozone.

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel comfortable I got it figured out and you guys get an assist on that one. Thanks again!

Just hitch with a sign saying.....need ride to autozone. You will get picked up easy, people will smile and stop take you direct to the store.

Heh, this is a nice county park, but it's surrounded by a not-so-nice urban area. I was thinking of calling a cab, but....

I just got under there and found the severed ends, and there was about five inches sheared off the long end. I pulled on her a little and got the long part to mate up with the nipple and clamped it. I started her and ran her for five minutes or so, and no leak, no stalling or anything, so I guess the line is in the right place. It was obviously the return line.

I don't trust it, but it should get me to the auto parts store and back, so long as I don't hit a pot hole or something and pull it off again. Good thing the speed limit between here and there is only 30. I can waddle on down the road and hold up traffic without too much in the way of honking horns and middle fingers until I get there. Might even be able to fix it right ther in the parking lot. We shall see.

sounds like you fixed leak..

I was on the edge of my seat reading post (thinking the worst :lips-sealed: ) sooo glad everything is safe as far as fuel leak goes

that is just to scary for me to think about..

good job not giving up on fixing the leak...

sounds like you fixed leak..

I was on the edge of my seat reading post (thinking the worst :lips-sealed: ) sooo glad everything is safe as far as fuel leak goes

that is just to scary for me to think about..

good job not giving up on fixing the leak...

Yep it seems to be OK now. Gotta drive about ten miles to work this afternoon and if that hose gets torn up again I'll have a problem, but for now it's all good. Thankfully, when I got under there I could see the problem right away. Usually stuff like this is hidden and takes a lift to check out.

I bought some extra hose and clamps JIC. If there are no problems I'll probably take the extra hose and do the supply line too.

Thanks to everyone for their help.