An Introduction

Debbit

We just bought an 83 dolphin. Don't know much about them, but looking forward to learning. It is low miles, needs some sealing of seams and cleaning. But I'm pretty excited. Has 4 cyl, 4 speed and seems to run good. Pick it up on Monday.

I have a few pictures I took before we bought it. But they are on my phone, and not very good. Found this forum after I bought it, and after reading here, a lot.... it seems a much is is good with our new project, but there is still a lot that we didn't check, and could be bad. but we are not strangers to quirky older slow RVs. We have a lovely vw westfalia. Have removed and serviced the dometic fridge in that, replaced sink and faucet in it, window rubber and lots of other little things. we Just need something bigger.

Our new rig has 34,000 miles on the odometer, and it is turning. Everything seems to be in very nice shape under a thick layer of desert dust. We did drive it, and looked closely at the engine and under. Hooked briefly to electric and roof air came on and lights. No way to check stove and water system. We will just have to get it home and work our way through it. It is the 22R, stops and goes. Has a lot of seams we will need to seal. We live in the desert of NM and don't have problems with mold or rust, but it has leaked a little in places. Roof isn't saggy, inside isn't damaged.

Pretty excited to get it home and see what works as it should. I thought we got a steal at $3500, but maybe not!

post-7310-0-36874700-1375620849_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-03581700-1375620869_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-89829000-1375620914_thumb.jp

Well it's newer than you think. That is no older than 1984 chassis. Look at the title and make sure it says 84 or there might be a problem with it. Some RV's are titled a year newer cause it took a while to build but never a year older. Then pull those wheel covers off the rear wheels and take a look at them. They need to have the upgraded axle.Most Dolphins were upgraded but you can find the info on the main page to this site under axle facts. If everthing is good I'd say you got a super deal. Very low miles

Linda S

Thanks! They said 84, but based on things I read online, I thought it was older. We have many thing to look at, I'm sure! I can hardly wait to dig in.

Thanks! They said 84, but based on things I read online, I thought it was older. We have many thing to look at, I'm sure! I can hardly wait to dig in.

Body style changed from 83 to 84 and yours is definately an 84.

Linda S

if you don't mind taking off seams cleaning and re-sealing them then you got a great deal

just a little elbow work....

almost all rv this age will need a little love...

plus fixing up rv you get a special bond with them...

Well, I'm really relieved. We drove out to where it is parked and checked the axles and they are the 6 lug with the hub end cap with bolts. I knew nothing about this issue! Whew.

Don't mind fixing up, like it, in fact. Really excited now, and thank you all

6 bolt rear axle is a good one. I hope that you enjoy the new-to you Toyhouse. My wife and I love ours.

Well, drove it home today. Vacuumed lots of dust out. Checked all the systems out. Stove and oven, lights and cabine ac work. Fridge is getting hot at the vertical tube to the left, but not getting cold inside. im running it on 110, havent tried to light it yet. My Westy dometic has to run all night before it gets cold, do these?

Mine starts getting cold in the freezer after about 30 minutes.. (the finned plate in the freezer) Make sure your frig / truck is level. I have a couple of those self adhesive bubble levels. One on the drivers door pillar above the shoulder harness (front to back) and one on the dash (side to side). When these are level, the frig is level.

You might also go outside, open up the cover and take a flashlight and look up at the top of the frig. In mine the top roof vent was damaged and birds got in there and made some nests on the top of the cooling unit.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks. It is level and this morning, still not cold. I got all of the manuals, including the dometic fridge one. I realized--hey! Don't have to pull this fridge out to work on it like on the westfalia. Will check vent, thanks.

If your plugged into shore power and operating the frig on 110 volts, check to see if the heating element is getting hot.

This cover should be HOT to the touch. If its HOT, and the frig is level, thats not a good sign :-(

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-10433700-1375793740_thumb.jp

On to some other things for help please...

I only can see one waste water tank. Since bath and kitchen are at the back, I'm assuming there isn't another? I found the 'model' 300 on a metal tag. So, toyota dolphin 300, I guess.

Fridge lit, waiting to see if it gets cold on gas.

Lots of little crumbly parts on the outside from the NM sun!

Thanks so much for all the help.

There are Dolphin brochures on the toyota-campers site at yahoo groups. The 84 dolphin specs for the 300 model say dual holding tanks. Someone may have replaced yours in the past with one larger one but your going to have to get under there and figure it out. Sorry I tried to copy that section and post it here but PDF file won't let me do it. Join group and look here

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/files/Coach%20Manufacturer%27s%20Information/Owners%20Manuals%20and%20Brochures%2C%20Etc./Dolphin%20%2B%20Seabreeze%20%28National%20RV%29/Dolphin_Seabreeze%20Sales%20Brochures/

You can see nice pics of what your camper looked like new

Linda S

Nice pictures! Ok, looked underneath and there is one holding tank after all, it is impressively clean under there though. I have looked everywhere trying to find the shur-flo pump. I hear it, but cannot find it. It runs and runs, but no water. No leaks and I can't find any valves that might be shut off. I have tried to search this forum to read about where valves may be, but following the water lines, I can't find any shut off valves. I read here to use city water hookup to get water in the lines, I'll try that next.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Edited by Debbit

water pump should be next to your fresh water tank mine is under bench/bed

Nice pictures! Ok, looked underneath and there is one holding tank after all, it is impressively clean under there though. I have looked everywhere trying to find the shur-flo pump. I hear it, but cannot find it. It runs and runs, but no water. No leaks and I can't find any valves that might be shut off. I have tried to search this forum to read about where valves may be, but following the water lines, I can't find any shut off valves. I read here to use city water hookup to get water in the lines, I'll try that next.
Thanks for the help and patience.

If water is leaking anywhere do not hook up to city water. The water pressure will fill where ever the leak is with too much water and do damage. When you run the water pump it pumps water from the fresh water tank. City water doesn't need the water pump on. City water pressure runs the water. You need to find stuff and figure out how it works first. Where is your fresh water fill tube. Where exactly is it leaking. Are the toilet and shower connected to a waste tank or just the kitchen sink.

Linda S

My dolphin does have a gravity fill. I also modified it with a valve so I can fill the tank while connected to the city water.

The gravity is much faster, just clean the end of the hose and push it in the fill port. They also make a small hose fitting that screws on the end of a hose to do this. but I can never find it when I need to fill the tank.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Well, I've had a long day. I hooked up hose to city water, thinking it would be a way to get water into the lines. I know city water dosent use the pump, but the pump wasnt pumping any water and I thought it might be air in the lines. Yep, leaks in the water line under the sink, and the bathroom faucet leaked too. The bathroom was ok, just ran into floor pan and into holding tank. Under the sink....well, pretty wet.

Took it on the highway and I think I'd feel better getting the tires balanced and or aligned. Then ran out of propane, so went to get the tank filled and didn't realize the tank comes out to be filled.....

the water pump on mine is probably under the couch, but the water tank isn't. and there isn't any easy access to the box i think it is in. (That I can find)

Sorry missed last pose. My gravity fill is right behind the front passenger door. Gas tank a little further back on the same side. Then city water hook up is in the back, on the drivers side, by the electrical cord door. under my couch/bed are the water heater at the front, with outside access, then at the other corner, a carpet covered box with no access from inside or out. Then the furnace and inverter.

One waste water tank, at rear, under bathroom and kitchen sink.

Pump runs, no water.

glad to see your getting know your new toy-home

when I bought mine the kitchen sink leaked toilet leaked shower leaked & water heater leaked

all where very easy fix

shower (new facet)

kitchen sink"new gasket "

new water heater..

toilet new check valve

Sorry missed last pose. My gravity fill is right behind the front passenger door. Gas tank a little further back on the same side. Then city water hook up is in the back, on the drivers side, by the electrical cord door. under my couch/bed are the water heater at the front, with outside access, then at the other corner, a carpet covered box with no access from inside or out. Then the furnace and inverter.

One waste water tank, at rear, under bathroom and kitchen sink.

Pump runs, no water.

Well no water is going to come out unless the fresh water tank is full. Did you put water in it? There is also a tank drain somewhere and if it is open when you put water in you will see it drain out the bottom. Your water tank has to be somewhere near that gravity fill tube

Linda

I've located everything. The fresh water tank is under the cab, waterline runs from tank up to under couch seat and all the way along it's length to the area where the furnace and inverter are, (they are under the closet and drawers). It turns and goes up and the pump is mounted on the inside of that wall. Can't see it until I removed the drawers. From there the water lines go back to the water heater under the couch then back to the kitchen & bath. Sheesh.

There is one waste water tank at the rear. I did fill the fresh water tank, and the drain valve is new, replaced it today.

But although I found the pump, I don't see any valves, or drips. I've looked at all the lines, I guess it is sucking air? Maybe from those leaks.

And although the fridge is staying lit, it isn't cooling. The carburetor needs adjustment too. Waaaa

I guess I really thought because it had been so well taken care of by the first owners, everything would work. Couple years of neglect as it sat, I guess.

Edited by Debbit

Owning an older motorhome means a lot of R&R time. Repair and Replace, not just Rest and Recreation.

Exactly,

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yeah. Feeling much better about it today. Got tires inspected, balanced and they are good. carburater adjusted, and cab AC converted and charged. Much nicer going on the highway with windows closed and cold air blowing and no shimmy-shake in the back. I can fix the water, and use ice for a while!

Thanks for all the input and answers!

Edited by Debbit

Also finally got pump "primed". I pulled up the rings on what I later read here are the inline drain valves. Not sure how they work, but the pump started pumping water. Yippee. But lots of leaks to fix. And those valves too. Now just need some refrigerator magic and all will be well. Progress!

Oh, my fresh water tank is under the captains chairs opposit the couch, not under the cab.

Edited by Debbit