Alternative parking

fred heath

I found this by chance but works well for me.

When I first relocated to NC I checked out some local RV parks. All were $350-400 per month. So I posted an ad on CL seeking secure parking for my mh that I could stay in while parked. I got a msg. from a local storage company. This turned out to be a gated and password protected facility with security cameras. There is no dump station and electric plug is only 20 amp, but cost is only $100.00 per month. All included.

I know this is not for everyone, but if you need a short term parking solution this could work.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Of course there are also caretaker deals. Like this one today on craigslist in the Oregon Coast area. You get parking plus utilities for being there year round. You get to live on 30 acres but the owners are gone almost all year long.

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/sub/3950212735.html

I've had friends that have entered into situations such as this. It can work out fine as long as your responsibilities are put on paper. A general help around the place can end up making you an indentured servant.

Personally, I would agree on a fixed monthly rent to be reduced by the # of hours worked x agreed on hourly compensation. Extra hours would be carried forward to the next month. This way both parties are clear on what's expected.

and with your method the IRS will know exactly how much money you need to remit to them from your well documented taxable income. Plus don't forget that Oregon has a state income tax too :devel:

The only thing on paper is your responsibilities. Which you both agree to prior to accepting the job.

Everything else is personal records and no money changes hands. In essence its the barter system. Technically it's taxable by IRS standards, but only if someone is stupid enough to tell them. Same for the state.

Agreed responsibilities will save you from that 8pm knock on the door asking for your help with something not agreed to.