Purchased 18ft Sunrader 1981 for $2500

I found a great deal on a Sunrader in Indiana that has 109,000 miles with a stick shift. The only thing I don't like about it is it has the 1/2 ton axle. I figured since it doesn't have an overhead AC that it helps with the weight issue. I have a couple questions concerning this camper. Does everyone have a gray/black combined water tank on their toyhome? The reason I ask is mine is a combined 7 gallon black/gray tank. Is this normal? I found that the manual of a Sunrader states that it has a separate 10 gallon tank for each black water and gray water.

The other question is if I ever upgraded to the 1 ton axle would it be possible to put the tires from the original axle to the upgraded one. My plan is to repack the wheel bearings and 10 less psi on the outer tires.

I don't see a tank under the kitchen sink on mine. I find I did have to run alot of water through the kitchen sink before water starts coming out on the back. (There is alot of PVC underneath for the kitchen sink!) So does everyone have a combined gray/black water tank under their bathroom? It seems to make more sense to have the kitchen sink combined with the toilet and the shower drain being a separate tank.

I am going to redo all the plumbing with PEX since the plumbing already has small leaks. Have you figured out a way to completely drain the fresh water tank? It seems the water pump won't push all the water out. Also going to replace the water heater since the tank looks shot on it. Way too much rust on it!

Holding tank for toilet and shower should be 8 gallons and yes it's a black/gray tank. Just black if you ask me cause the toilet goes into it. Tank in the rear should be larger, 12 gallons, and is for the sink. Take very short showers or you will be standing in stuff you don't really want to. stand in.

Linda S

Karin if your sink tank looks smaller someone changed it out at some time. Does the drain pipe go all the way across the rear or is the tank pretty close to it.

I don't see a tank under the kitchen sink on mine. I find I did have to run alot of water through the kitchen sink before water starts coming out on the back. (There is alot of PVC underneath for the kitchen sink!) So does everyone have a combined gray/black water tank under their bathroom? It seems to make more sense to have the kitchen sink combined with the toilet and the shower drain being a separate tank.

I am going to redo all the plumbing with PEX since the plumbing already has small leaks. Have you figured out a way to completely drain the fresh water tank? It seems the water pump won't push all the water out. Also going to replace the water heater since the tank looks shot on it. Way too much rust on it!

Get undermeath and look at the sink tank. All the way in the rear of the camper. Plumbing runs from sink to pump to water heater and there is a down drain there to the tank. Have to remove the bench seat on that side to axcess the pipes. If you stick your hand in the cabinet door down there though there should be a small pull ring. It opens the valve to drain the fresh water tank. Will drain onto ground. Issue with connecting the shower to the grey tank is because it would have to be pumped over the axle or be too near exhaust pipes. Toilet and shower are in front of rear axle.

Linda S

It looks like I don't have a holding tank for the kitchen sink. It most of been taken out. It probably isn't really necessary to have a holding tank for the kitchen sink. It just adds more unnecessary weight.

The manual states my dry weight of my Sunrader is 3990 lbs and the GVWR is 4690 lbs. With a full tank of gas, 10 gallons of fresh water, and a full 8 gallon holding tank would add around 320 lbs plus me and my dog is a total of 500 lbs. Plus another 100 lbs of carry on weight. I think I am okay with a 1/2 ton axle, but it would be nice to have the upgraded axle. Too bad finding the upgraded axle is like finding a rare jewel.

I have been under a 79 and it was set up just like mine. That's why I assumed yours had been changed. I do know that Stewart Gardiner would use whatever was on hand at the time to save money though. If he got a deal on some other size tanks I'm sure he would go for it.

Linda S

I upgraded the 1/2 ton axle on my 18' Sunrader to the 1 ton but spoke to someone recently who has owned a 4x4 Sunrader since 85 (bought it new) and still has the 1/2 ton rear axle on it. His motorhome has 250,000 miles on it now and he said that he maintains the rear axle regularly and always keeps 10 PSI less air in the outer wheels.

I found a great deal on a Sunrader in Indiana that has 109,000 miles with a stick shift. The only thing I don't like about it is it has the 1/2 ton axle. My plan is to repack the wheel bearings and 10 less psi on the outer tires.

I upgraded the 1/2 ton axle on my 18' Sunrader to the 1 ton but spoke to someone recently who has owned a 4x4 Sunrader since 85 (bought it new) and still has the 1/2 ton rear axle on it. His motorhome has 250,000 miles on it now and he said that he maintains the rear axle regularly and always keeps 10 PSI less air in the outer wheels.

I also know someone who has owned her 4x4 Sunrader for over 20 years. She has replaced the rear axle twice but never was able to find a full floater so ended up just going with the original type axle. She was just lucky that she was able to feel it going bad before it actually fell apart. I'm sure in the mean time the pressure difference will help but not a perfect fix

Linda S