Sum of parts MUCH more then the whole

zero

I got looking at this ad for a 1984 Toyota Dolphin RV for $650 OR part by part. Holy cow! $500 for a four speed trans? $5000 for a rear end?

"1984 Toyota RV Asking $650 or best offer. RV was running about a year ago. Kids got in and damaged inside. Kids painted (taged) out side. Fixer uper. Bring you tool to see if you can start the RV. Tires look good. RV rolls ok. No paper work. Yes "Bill of Sale" and Keys. 4cly. 4 speed. Not looking to drop price to low ball level, but open to fair offers. The engine, transmission, rear end, frame, and other pairs have a estimated value over $600. Willing to part out items. Asking Prices: Engine $500. Carb $200. Transmission $500. Rear End $5000 Seats $40. each. Glass call for pricing: Tires and wheels Inside Parts Gas Tank $100 Hood Fenders front end nose with lights and markers $500. Doors $100 each. Call Joe 631-559-1004 Maybe good for: Hot Dog Truck Ice Cream Truck Dog Washing Truck Shed Scrap Other 1984 Toyota DOLPHIN Motor Home for sale with Hard to Find Rear Booth Dinette 1984 Toyota Dolphin RV Class C with Hard to Find Rear Booth Dinette, 4 speed manual transmission, Roof A/C, Work Truck Camper"

post-6578-0-54475100-1371250540_thumb.jp

I wonder if it is stolen?

I NEVER get involved with vehicles without good papers.

-Riverman77

I wonder if it is stolen?

I NEVER get involved with vehicles without good papers.

-Riverman77

Doesn't worry me. In NY - all needs to be done is call the title bureau with the VIN # to find out if it's truly a NY vehicle and not stolen. Might not be able to get a new title but it's not hard to verify if it's stolen or not.

In Maine does not need a title if it's over 20 years old. That guy must really value his labor lets see $650 or parted out $7,000 hum.

In Maine does not need a title if it's over 20 years old. That guy must really value his labor lets see $650 or parted out $7,000 hum.

When I lived in Vermont - it was the same deal with titles (not needed for older rigs). I once bought a truck in NY with no title. It could not be registered in NY. Took it to Vermont to register it. Then transfered it NY and it was then legal.

That being said - I bought a 78 Toyota RV last year in Rockland, Maine and almost got in a jamb with the title (had a real title). Owner cannot sell it in Maine without signing in front of a notary. If we hadn't been able to find a notary - I'm not sure what would of happened. Same thing happened to me a few years ago in Pennsylvania. If we hadn't been able to track down the owner and get him front of a notary - NY would not of let me register it.

Here in NY - almost every trailer I see has Maine license plates including my 12 ton equipment trailer. That because Maine gives a much better deal. NY DMV people at ticked about it and claim they are trying to pass new laws to ban New Yorkers from buying Maine tags.

In the Pacific NW I have seen a lot of ads done the way this guy does them. They post a low price including the wording Or Best Offer. When you see that you know right away that what they are up to is running an auction without wanting to pay Ebay fees for it. So if you want to get them to even respond to you then you have to offer more than the asking price. If you are the high bidder you will then get a response. If not you may or may not get a response depending on how close a bidder you are.

Must be people in your area have different mindset then here (northeastern coast). Very common for people to put ads in the newspaper or Craigslist with an asking-price along with "or best offer. " That best offer is just about always a lot less then the asking price and not the converse. I have heard from a few real estate people out on the west-coast - especially California - that with homes and real estate often an asking price is considered a "starting price" and it's normal to get bid up higher. Seems that's what you're saying about private ads for cars and trucks? That doesn't happen around here - for cars, truck, or real estate - at least not very often. I administer two real estate websites here and maintain all their listings. I also have a side-business buying and selling farm equipment. Never seen it happen here yet and I've been doing it for 15 years. Same for cars and trucks in the classified. I find the crazy prices when someone advertises something as "make an offer" with NO price listed. Then the price is often absurd.

I also acknowledge that people do things differently in different regions. I've noticed that here in central NY - I can usually buy just about anything for 10-20% less then the advertised asking price. It is standard procedure. People usually ask more then they really expect to get realizing that. But in northern Michigan? Seems people get insulted if you offer then one penny less then they are asking and seem to have the attitude that they'd rather see a car or truck rot on their front lawn before taking $5 less. Same for real-estate. I offered a women $22,000 for some property in the Michigan UP five years ago when her asking price was $24,000. She threw a fit and acted insulted. Now - five years later she's paid $3200 in taxes in the interim while it's been sitting and she's still rock -solid at $24,000.

I just changed a real estate listing on one of our Websites today Asking price was $109,000 or "best offer." It just sold for $79,000.