'85 Coachman. Deep Cycle Battery Charging Question... also, who needs a onboard generator?

TheDoverGuppy

Greetings

After a crazy memorial day weekend, The Guppy (1985 Coachman) is in serious maintenance mode. (Watch for more posts)

I've decided that the on-board generator (a Generac DMC-45) is just too loud, and too much trouble to maintain, so I'm removing it in favor of an external.

My question is how does the deep cycle battery charge when there's no generator? It doesn't seem to be connected to the truck battery, and I'm not sure it charges on shore power. Can anyone help me out with this.

Generator- We are in Dover, DE and I'm looking to unload it. It is operational (most of the time) and when it's not, it's at the point where there's a pretty easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing. These days, it's the fuel pump that's been a bit fickle.

If anyone is close and wants to talk about buying it, let me know. Personally I think it's in too good of condition to think of for parts, but if you have another on, between the two, with some knowledge, I think you'd be set.

Coach battery should charge when truck is running and when connected to shore power.

Attached is a generic power diagram, gives you an idea of how the 12 volt and 110 volt systems interconnect.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-21643800-1369922903_thumb.jp

Who needs a generator?

Nobody.

They are kind of nice if you camp away from shore power in warmer climates.

If I was in Tennessee or Florida, I would have one. Most of my trips are north to New Hampshire or Maine. And you can get by just fine there without them with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 days a year. Today might be one of those days! We have gone from winter to dog days of summer in about a week. Last weekend there was snow an hour or so north of here.

most campers have a wire coming from the engine's battery or alternator that goes by a solenoid so whenever the engines is running juice gets to the house battery. The solenoid gets 12v from the wiring to the windshield wiper motor so the solenoid is closed (connects 2 batteries together) when the ignition key is "on". The solenoid on mine looks like a standard ford solenoid, but it is a constant duty solenoid.

On mine (93 winnie warrior) it is all right there in plain view on the battery side of the engine compartment. I can follow the wire from the + side of the battery to the solenoid under the vehicle to the house battery. Mine has 2 CB's, one before the solenoid & one at the house battery.

Another way to tell is with a voltmeter. Check your house battery with the engine on & off.

I can tell you if you boondock much you will want to charge the house battery & running the engine will not be acceptable. (unless you are not going to use any power)

You might consider a honda generator - I use a honda 2000 which is strong enough to run the roof ac even though it is technically overloaded. The honda 1000 could do a good job of just charging the house battery.

The honda is a lot quieter. I use a lot of juice - internet, cameras, phones, even some tv. And I rarely plug in t o 100v ac

• 1 month later...

So if I run my coach battery down can it drain the truck battery? Good at some things, but no electrical whiz am I....

No all RV's come with a battery isolater that will protect your truck battery from be drained.

Linda S