1991 Toyota Winnebago "toye" 21ft Class C - newbie questions

We are going from a 2003 tow behind and diesel F250 to a 21ft 91 Toyota Winnebago "toye" Class C we just bought, so we are not new to camping just new as to the type vehicle used. We've been looking for a Class C for quite a while and found this "toye". We've never heard of this model nor have ever seen one for sale. Can any of you give us any insite to the toye? We bought it from an 85 yr old couple who purchased it over 20 years ago when they retired. They got it with 22K miles on it and now it has 128,000. They kept excellent care of it. All recall work, repairs, and updates were done by the dealer and they had receipts for all of it. They updated the refridgerator, toilet, awning, water heater, AC, and put new tires and brakes on it. The interior is in stellar shape and the exterior is beautiful. My husband is not concerned about the high mileage as we've had other Toyotas that seemed to run forever. (plus he can fix most anything with an engine) We're looking forward to our first trip in it. If any of you can give us info on the toye, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi John and Sue: congratulations on your new Toye. It sounds like you got a really good one. I don't know where you live, but if you're on the western part of the continent you might like to take in the Vancouver Island Toy In on the weekend of June 21-23. There is lots of info on this event on the Rallies and Toy-Ins folder on this website. Cheers, Wayne & Irene

Hi John and Sue--DW and I have full-timed for the past 19 years. During that time we have owned three Toyhomes, a "Toye" among them. We currently have our third Toy, a '92 Itasca Spirit. When I owned the Toye, I tried to find out all I could about its lineage. From what I learned, the Toye was a cut below the Winnebago warrior in fit and finish. We loved our Toye and it was great in every way. If I can answer any specific questions, please don't hesitate to message me. Charlie Trueland

Thanks, Charlie, glad to hear you liked your Toye and was also courious enough to try to find out as much about it as you could. We've been looking and the only info we found on the Toye was an article from Winnebago from 1991! We have the one with the permanent dinette. Thanks again for your offer to answer specific questions, if (when) we have them, we'll be sure to conact you. Enjoy your weekend. John and Sue

Winnebago Motorhome The Ultimate Adult `Toye' WHAT'S NEW
May 26, 1991|by TOM FEGELY, The Morning Call

Economy-conscious RVers looking for a motorhome that doesn't strain the pocketbook will want to check out Winnebago's 1991 contribution to the micro-mini motorhome line -- the Toye.

Built on a Toyota chassis and equipped with a three-litre, V-6 fuel injection engine, four-speed automatic transmission, air conditioning, cruise control and other standard equipment, the Toye is designed for the first-time RV-buyer who opts for a motorhome instead of a trailer.

At a purchase price of under $24,000 and with excellent fuel economyicon1.png, the handsome motorhome has some unusual features -- such as an outside shower for washing off sand and dirt before entering the "home" -- a blessing when shore camping or for families with kids. Interiorfeatures include vinyl flooring, a kitchen with range, oven and refrigerator, sleeping accommodations for four and a bathroom with shower, toilet, medicine cabinet and cedar-lined wardrobe.

The unit carries a gross weight of 6,000 pounds.

Two floor plans are available; one with a permanent dinette and the other an L-shaped dinette with removable table and swivel chair.

The economy-conscious RV shopper will surely want to take a look at Winnebago's newest addition to the micro-mini line.

For additional information contact area Winnebago dealers or write: PR Dept., Winnebago Industries, Inc., POB 152, Forest City, IO 50436.

... Tom Fegely;

Outdoors Editor

Congrations on your new Toy. You might want to check the reciepts for a valve adjustment as some dealers don't seem to want to do this, but it's necessary on a V6 as the wear causes the valve clearence to become less and you can end up with an expensive repair. The dealer we went to used an "acoustic" test that does not apply to our V6's and told us it was fine. Went to another shop and they had to replace all the exhaust shims, fuel filter, starter.

Vanman, <<<<Went to another shop and they had to replace all the exhaust shims, fuel filter, starter.>>>>

Curious about your comments on what the 2nd shop told you. The fuel filter & starter seem unrelated to the valves.

Exhaust shims -- are you referring to the shims that the vze uses for valve adjustments? I have 72k miles on mine & have decided to wait a bit longer to do the valve adjustment whihc I presume I will have done in a shop as I do not have a shim set to use.

Sorry for the way I put that.

Yes the shop I chose for the valve clearence check also did the filter and starter at my request. They took measurements and ordered the shims from a Toyota dealer.

They cut apart the fuel filter at my request and it was ok inside, I was thinking about rust.

We had 86,000 miles on it at that time and some of the exhausts were below the minimum clearence. I asked them to order shims to go to the max of the range they give for the exhaust clearences and they said they always do that for the Toyota V6's, that do a lot of 'em and thats why I chose them. It's not an easy thing to do, it runs better now.

Having recently purchased a 93 Itaska v6 with 122,xxxx miles i did get a ton of paperwork with it and went thru it all and found the work order for the headgasket recall but none for the valve adjustment which by that time should have been done twice! The timing belt had been done once so it was also past due as the maint schedule calls for a new belt ect every 60K miles.The nearest dealer wanted about $1200 to do the 2 jobs combined.

I decided to tackle it myself (been a mechanic all my life,no toyota experience) ordered 1 special tool to compress the valve spring for about $15. It was a real pain in the neck & back to do. I found all the exaust valve clearances were at the minimum or slightly below,#6 was the worst.All the intakes were fine at mid range in the spec.The dealer did not have any shims and wanted just over $100 for the 6 that i needed and for me to drive 80 mile round trip to pay before he would order them and then again when they come in "in about a week". I was able to order them from an online seller of genuine toyota parts for about half thet amount including shipping. I ended up spending less than $300 dollars to do the valve adjustment and the timing belt & waterpump and all the rollers and tensioner.It is a big job i do not reccomend you try unless you have a pretty extensive mechanical background,i also do not advise skipping it as i feel sure that #6 ex valve would have been burnt before i got back from our upcoming long trip.I had to do it outdoors as it is too tall to fit in my little shop which made it worse but i did get lots of exercise walking to and from the shop a couple of hundred times.

We are going from a 2003 tow behind and diesel F250 to a 21ft 91 Toyota Winnebago "toye" Class C we just bought, so we are not new to camping just new as to the type vehicle used.

How big was your trailer and how you'd do with MPGs with the Ford pulling it? My F250 with a 7.3 turbo-diesel got a best of 16 MPG pulling a 22' trailer or with an 10.5 foot slide-on camper. My Dodge-Cummins with the turbo-intercooled 5.9 gets a little better at 17 MPG. But . . . in many places diesel fuel is 40 - 50 cents more per gallon then regular gas. Thus the reason why I'm working on a 1978 Toyota Chinook now. The one thing I'll probably miss is with the Ford or Dodge trucks - I was doing 65-80 MPH regardless of how steep the hills were. Not the case with a Toyota.

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, redskinman said:

Well John and Sue up and disappeared after posting this,thats strange? Was hoping to read more since I just bought the same model

It is common for people to post a bit and then disappear.   I sometimes wonder if they find all kinds of things wrong and then advertise they hate to part with their beloved Toyota that gets 20 MPG but due to family illness (sick of working on it)  must sell.  :D

THE FIRST SEVERAL POSTS ON THIS THREAD REFER TO THE WINNEBAGO WARRIOR AS A "TOYE", IS A "TOYE" A SPECIFIC MODEL FROM A "REGULAR" WINNIE WARRIOR ? AND IF SO WHAT CONSTITUTES THE DIFFERENCE ? HOW WOULD ONE KNOW IF THEY OWN A "TOYE" VERSUS A "REGULAR" WARRIOR ? THANKS IN ADVANCE. JOE FROM DOVER

THANKS "DEREK" YOU SEEM TO BE THE "GO TO" GUY FOR ANSWERING A LOT OF MY QUESTIONS LATELY. SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU. I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH HERE WITH YOUR POSTS AND THE MANY OTHERS THAT REALLY KNOW THEIR TOYOTA MH FACTS. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP YOU ALL OFFER TO ALL OF US "NEWBIES" THAT ARE TRYING TO EDUCATE OURSELVES. JOE FROM DOVER

On 2016-12-10 at 2:32 PM, Derek up North said:

AFAIK, the 'Toye' was Winnebagos loss-leader, 'stripper' version. Usually (always?) have big Toye decals outside.

2 burner stove;

Single sink;

No front window;

V6 only (I think).

https://www.smartrvguide.com/L48751332

What does that mean? loss leader? stripper version?:o;)