First RV! Sunrader, 21', Rear Bath!

After years of reading toyotamotorhome.org and dreaming of RV camping, we finally took the plunge. We bought a 1988 21ft Sunrader. The AC in back works well, coach battery is half dead, dropped the fuel tank to fix an evap leak to pass smog. Looking to replace the flooring (maybe cork, vinyl, or replace carpet?), LED lights on EBAY (thanks to the posts found here), and need to test the fridge. We will reupholster at least the couch, and maybe the captain's chairs. I am pricing solar systems (panel and controller) as well, probably will go with a 100 Watt panel and controller from Solar Penny as they have the best prices I've found.

One of the curved front windows is broken. Called RV Advantage in Napa for the window, they wanted $300 for it, $625 installed! Will probably try to make one.

Later, we plan on converting the exterior running lights to LEDs, figure out how to mount some bikes, and off camping we go. Thanks to the community for all the great info and stories.

Sounds like a cool rig, post some pics!

Hitch can be bolted (if you have mounting tabs) or welded to the frame. I paid $300 all in for my 2" receiver (welded to frame) on my '85 Dolphin. I like the Thule T2 and Kuat NV racks. These racks are not cheap, but I've had my Thule T2 for over 6 years with no issues.

If it is just a crack in the front window you can do a mend on it with acrylic adhesive. The clear liquid kind that wicks into seams and is used for constructing acrylic boxes and display pieces. A very small artist paint brush with a fine tip works well as an applicator for the glue. Remember the glue is very watery and will run down the window so don't pour it on, use just enough on the brush to wick into the crack. Do not rub, wipe or touch the glue on the window while it is wet as it actually dissolves the acrylic to weld it together and you will end up with a smeared mess on the surface of the window.

Don't expect visibly perfect results as in it won't make the cracks become completely invisible, but it will hold the window together and keep the water out. I have also used it with success on cracked, acrylic tail lights.

Both my Sunrader front cabover windows had several cracks in them, some about 6 inches long. I was able to stabilize and seal the cracks using this method. If the crack runs below the level of the rubber you may have to remove the window to finish getting to the bottom of the crack to seal it properly. But don't try removing the window from the rubber seal until after you have treated all the visible cracks as you want it as strong as possible to keep from breaking under the stress of removal. You might also want to take a tiny drill bit and drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running further, be sure to seal that hole too, remember only a tiny drill or the glue won't be able to fill up the hole.

Check the crack as it might only be partway through the plastic and only need glue on one side but if it goes all the way through then treat both inside and outside of the panel.

Thanks for the great suggestion Karincorbin. I will have to remove the patch that has been applied to see if it is a hole or a crack. I fear that it is a hole, since it was created by running into something. It is still good to know that there is a way to melt the acrylic together.

Hitch can be bolted (if you have mounting tabs) or welded to the frame. I paid $300 all in for my 2" receiver (welded to frame) on my '85 Dolphin. I like the Thule T2 and Kuat NV racks. These racks are not cheap, but I've had my Thule T2 for over 6 years with no issues.

Mint Sauce, the RV already has a receiver, so just the rack is necessary, and those look like great racks. A bit pricey, but they look very functional and well made. Will look into it once I've taken care of the other issues.

They wanted 325 for installation? Used to be a hundred. For experienced person shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install. Probably less. That's crazy.

Linda S

Linda S - I know, $325 is a bit crazy! Even for the Bay Area! I was counting on info. from the other thread, in which you included the info. for RV Advantage. I was shocked once I called to find such inflation. If I have trouble making it, I might have to bite the bullet and buy one from them and install it myself.

L>3MyEscaper - I am attaching a pic (if I can figure out how to do it). Happy to be part of the toy family, and looking forward to a toy in in the Fall. :)

post-2727-0-83003900-1368048948_thumb.pn

I'm in the bay area too and I need one maybe 2 front windows for my Nissan Sunrader. I'm gonna try to make one sometime this summer. I'll let you know if it works out.

Linda S

I will try to make one as well and let you know if I am successful. I have a piece of plexi I intend to try it on.

Which brings up another option....buy the window and hire a local installer. Their are a number of shops around my area that offer replacing windows on fiberglass boats that would be able to handle a Sunrader cabover window install.

In my Seattle area if I wanted a new cabover window made I would go to this company. http://www.clearcutplastics.com/'>http://www.clearcutplastics.com/ They are very nice people and they do very nice work including making replacement curved acrylic windows for boats as they are right near the boat repair yards. But of course they need a pattern to work from as in they need your old window so they get the radius and shape of it right. Not a lot of companies will do one of a kind acrylic bending but this one does.

That is a great idea. I will check with the local marine restorers in Alameda. Thanks for the suggestion!