18' sunrader hidden space

snail powered

I was fixing the wrinkled ceiling paper in my 1980 Sunrader today as part of my interior refurb job. When the installers built my Sunrader they created a lot of wrinkles in the ceiling paper as they pushed the bathroom walls and also the upper cabinets into place.

I took down the ceiling panel that covers the slope between the main coach ceiling and the overcab ceiling. Found a mouse nest up there that thank goodness seems never to have been used. But there is also a large pocket of space up there that runs a ways back behind the bathroom.

Enough space to slide in a handy glove box type of compartment with a little hatch cover cut into the ceiling panel that covers the slope.

But I think I will use the space to put in a recessed light fixture that sits flush with the face of the ceiling panel. I want to get rid of that head knocker of a fluorescent light fixture that is right above the ladder to the overcab bunk. You can see it in the photo below. There is other lighting in the overcab space so that lights primary function is to light up the area at the entry door and bathroom. Now all I have to do is take that fixture out, pull the wires up top and use them for a recessed fixture with LEDs in it. I will shop around for something of a suitable size but if I don't find a reasonably priced fixture I will fabricate one.

post-6369-0-42280300-1367362886_thumb.jp

I mounted my own "hidden" spot which itself is a small safe that would be a bear to remove as it is bolted into the frame using one of the seatbelt bolts. there is no room to get at it either; not easily and even if one did the safe is a drawer style and would have to be cut open. I figure the perp would need an angle grinder and quite a bit of time to get into it; and being its full of ammo.... BOOM. and only then would they be in after braving the shepherds.