Roof trouble: Need comments, info, help, suggestions

SergeAyotte

Hello everyone!

To start my story, last summer, and the end of a week long trip around the Gaspe region, we discovered after a nice summer storm that there was a leak somewhere.

So upon coming back me and my wife proceeded to re-caulked all the outside edges, around the AC outside, and even tighten the AC unit itself (added washers), water hose tested, and even came to look at our Mini cruiser after big rain falls, and no water inside found.

After this winter, we came to have a look, and to our dismay, we did find water and a broken/rotten wood beam close to the "start of the nose", forward of the AC and the cupboards.

I have put more pictures in an album, but don't know how to link to it, sorry .

Is this "beam" Important?

WHAT SHOULD I DO and how?

Now, I am not much of a hands on type of guy, and we park our MiniCruiser at my in-laws, so not much of a working area, but was wondering what work I am looking in getting into?

And since there was a lot of snow up here this winter, I noticed that the roof as sagged also, so thinking of removing the AC, but is there a "bigger" problem I should expect?

I can understand that these "simple" explanation and pictures may not be much, but thank you in advance for any help and guidance you may provide...

post-5355-0-06709700-1367160818_thumb.jp

Looks like your going to have to replace ceiling...

that last thing you want is ceiling to buckle or start to cave in.....

you can keep taking 1/8th board off of ceiling to see how bad damage is and where it starts/stops

this is a big job(not to scare you) depending on how bad rot is your going to take everything off roof and

1.fix leak replace rot

2.reseal roof

the good news is their a lot of info and pics on this site

and some good people ready to help....

I would say that your roof doesn't look repairable as it is now. Probably the best way to go at this job is to remove the whole roof, framing and all and build a new roof. This is an expensive job if you have to hire someone to do the work, so anything you can do yourself will save you a lot of money. Before tearing into the roof, take lots of pictures and measurements of how everything is built and where everything is! This is so that you can put lights, wiring, switches, vents, whatever, back in the same place if that's what you want.

Good Luck,

John

I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at.

Rot should not happen in one season. Is it rot or just discoloration.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at.

Rot should not happen in one season. Is it rot or just discoloration.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi John!

Yes, the picture I put in is not the best to know what you are looking at, I admit. Like I did mentioned I put all the pics I took in my gallery ( http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&user=5355 ) maybe by having a look at these you may have a better idea.

What I "see" is a wood beam of about 1 inch wide (or is it 2 inches??) that is broken close to the cabinet, passenger side.

In the pic I put here, you see the broken beam, and basically the "hole" for the crank handle for a TV antenna.

DOLPHINITE and sdboltdude: I hope you are wrong :(:(:(

Serge

Like dolphinte said

"take measurements of every thing

take lot of pics & video

incase you need to reference them for repair

especially if someone else is going to do most of the repairs

your rot is not from just one season...

It might of been noticeable last summer but that is from

months to years of rot ..

have you peaked at roof? (don't climb up on roof :greedy: ) and how does it look by ac

is their structure damage?...

I wish you all the luck in fixing your ToyHome

just go slow measure everything

look at other ceiling repairs on this site

come up with a game

lets us know your plan

I'm sure you will get help and good advice

p.s. I hope I'm wrong to but like most repairs to older rv once you get into rot it seams to keep

going and going :bye2: