Dealer or mechanic?

toyboxII

Hi all--Toy is approaching 100K and is due for some routine maintenance, i.e., valves adjusted, new water pump, timing belt, etc. 1992 V-6 with 96K on the clock. Local mechanic says he can handle the work. When I asked about the valve adjustment being problematic, he responded "no problem, specs are online and it is old technology" Dealer will do the work, but he is notoriously expensive. Which would you choose and why? Thanks!

you do know that the valves on the v 6 must be adjusted with shimes they do not use adjustment screws like the four cyclinders do

It really depends on the dealer. I would not go to any dealer around here again on any of my wheels due to bad experiences. Not all the independent shop are better, so be carefull.

Ask the Mechanic if he has the tool to remove the shims,if he claims he has ask to see it there are a couple of types,it will have one or more "J" shaped leg,if he has the tool its probably a safe bet he has done the job at least once before. My guess would be that since the newest of these rigs are 20 yrs old there may not be a tech in the dealership that has ever done one either.

I just 2 weeks ago did my timing belt and valve adjustment on our 93 Itasca and it is NOT a DIY for the average owner.

When I did go to the dealer, I made my appointment and requested a loaner car. The longer the repair took, the longer I used the loaner car.

Once, when the AC repair took two weeks for all the parts to arrive, I had already put 2000 miles on the loaner Camry.