Windows removed ...but what am I looking at???

redbeard

Hi All,

This is my first questioning post? I have removed the windows and the rot does not seem bad, but the wood is not glued to the fiber glass on the outside at all....should it be??? It is connected to the paneling but not the outside fiberglass. If the plywood is rotted and I cut it out, should I glue it back to the fiberglass???? If the plywood is in ok shape, will it give enough structure to tighten up the windows??? If the wood is suspect at all, should I cut it out?? It doesn't look like such a big deal looking at it. What glue to attach it to the fiberglass of the Sunrader.

Thanks for the help.

You should be using putty-tape. That keeps water from getting in though the fibreglass. That's my take. I'm sure others will chime in.

Hi All,

This is my first questioning post? I have removed the windows and the rot does not seem bad, but the wood is not glued to the fiber glass on the outside at all....should it be??? It is connected to the paneling but not the outside fiberglass. If the plywood is rotted and I cut it out, should I glue it back to the fiberglass???? If the plywood is in ok shape, will it give enough structure to tighten up the windows??? If the wood is suspect at all, should I cut it out?? It doesn't look like such a big deal looking at it. What glue to attach it to the fiberglass of the Sunrader.

Thanks for the help.

It's a Sunrader. Worry not about the fiberglass. It's not going anywhere. Just make sure you put the windows back in with butyl tape, not silicone sealant, not putty tape. There shouldn't be much more there than some framing around the window and the paneling inside. If the paneling is OK and the wood framing is not badly damaged you can just reinstall the windows. Butyl tape will seal it just fine. I have 2 Sunraders and have done the windows on both. Paneling on one of them had quite a bit of water damage but just painted over it and put the windows back in. Looks fine and no leaks at all

Linda S

Putty tape will dry out. Butyl tape will last for years and years.

I've replaced all the windows on two of these Toy minis. What I've noticed is that their is usually a 3/4"x 1" strip of plywood sandwiched between the exterior and interior paneling. Normally they run the length of the top and bottom sills of the window framing. If they are rotted, I've just pulled them out and replaced using paneling adhesive and clamps to hold the new strips in place till dry. If minor water damaged, I've used liquid epoxy wood hardener just to renew a little structural integrity. Hindsight being 20/20, I would definitely use the butyl tape over putty or any other material when reinstalling the windows. This product remains pliable for years...no cracking=no leaking. Take your time and use a helper to help you support the windows until they're screwed in. I'll post some pics.

• 1 month later...

Got the butyl tape and mission accomplished, thanks for the replys. Had to do the big window in back twice, did not like the first attempt. Will be posting pics soon I hope.

Redbeard