I have a 87 Itasca with a 2.4 Auto. I hooked up a Transmission gage (where the coin box is to the left of the steering wheel. Anyway I wanted to hook up the temp switch to the trans pan. Took it off and found that there probably is only one place it can be hooked to. (Passenger side 1 1/2 inches from the front. The part I got from Napa to screw the temp switch into had the wrong threading on it. So I decided that I would instead use a manifold to tap into the tranny line instead. These run about 45 bucks off the internet. Still have to order it. Would like others ideas on how you installed your manifold into the tranny line. I am posting some pictures of the trans and what I was up against. Also my unit has a trans cooler from the factory but are these large enough for the unit. Ted from Seattle

The very best place for the sensor is in the pan next is in the return line to the trans. I don't think you'll ever be able put an extra cooler on that's too big.

I think I could argue that the line leaving the transmission towards the coolers would be 'best'. But (to my way of thinking) the 'number' is less a important thing to monitor than the 'change' in temperature. Wherever you're reading the temperature, you'll learn what 'number' is normal and you'll be able to notice when it starts going higher! :)

Update!! Today there was a slight change of plans. I went over to a friends house and had a threaded 1/4 pipe thread brazed into the pan. There is only one place to put it due to the body taking up all the pan. Anyway it's done. It is installed in the pan and works great. At first I thought it wasn't working for it took awhile to get past the 80 degree starting mark. Flushed the trans fluid via coolert hose. Took 6 quarts of Dextron six. Anyway I will see if these pictures will come through. Comments welcome. Can't find the attachment icon so will put

I think I could argue that the line leaving the transmission towards the coolers would be 'best'. But (to my way of thinking) the 'number' is less a important thing to monitor than the 'change' in temperature. Wherever you're reading the temperature, you'll learn what 'number' is normal and you'll be able to notice when it starts going higher! :)

Well that is hot fluid that has been abused the return line is fluid that is about to be abused it is basically what the transmission is going to use to do its job.It also gives you a pretty good ideal of how well the cooler is working.

I don't disagree with that, but who cares what the temperature of the fluid in the pan is? What's important is what maximum temperature the ATF is reaching IN the transmission, which to my mind would be best measured as it leaves the transmission. Of course the hotter the oil in the pan, the hotter the oil will be leaving the tranny. But, as I said before, get to know what the temperature reads under 'normal' conditions and watch for anomalies, wherever you measure it.