What adhesive would you use?

MontanaChinook

Poly foam roll insulation, to wood paneling which has been sealed with poly.

Whether its "right" or not, the way it's made sense for me to insulate is to put foil/bubble insulation right up against the inside of the camper fiberglass, then a gap, then I'm attaching the poly foam insulation to the back of the wall panels, cutting it to fit them exactly.

I have wood glue, some different kinds of caulking, a "general spray adhesive"...I think that's it. Would one of those do it, or should I make a trip to the store?

Obviously it doesn't need to be a crazy strong bond, but it shouldn't just peel off on its own.

I tried some of the spray adhesive this morning. Wasn't immediately comfortable with the bond but I'll see what it's like on my lunch break when it's had some time to cure. Never know how much is "user error", also...

spray adhesive is more of a headliner or upholstery application. if it fails the foil will drop inside there. I would use the spray and a couple lines of liquid nails. ones instant bond the other long haul.

Liquid nail products LN 950 or LN 609.

Both should be at a Home Depot/Lowes

Thanks!

I used a general trim adhesive for the foil, and it didn't work great...it stuck well enough for the walls, but not the ceiling. It fit tight enough that I don't think it's going anywhere, though...and I glued some "spacers" to it, so if it drooped, it still wouldnt be laying right up against the next layer of insulation.

Not sure how it will all hold up to the vibrations of the road...

We always us a hot glue gun when spot glueing furr strips and backsplashs along with liquid nail.

Thank you!

If you check out the photos in my projects thread, you'll see that the foil is not supporting any weight but its own. It's cut to fit inside the "studs", with room left for an air gap. The ceiling, with foam insulation attached to the underside, will screw into the same blocks and studs that it screwed into before, without contacting the foil at all. Easy for me to picture...maybe not for other people who haven't seen it.

I'm realizing that a lot more tools and expertise were required for this job than I ever imagined! I'm going to get it done, though, and I think it will come out pretty respectable.

It turns out that staples work the best for attaching foam insulation to wood paneling :)

The spray adhesive was worthless, liquid nails and wood glue were ok, but 1/4" staples are where it's at!

The ceiling which screws into the actual roof of the rv, is a piece of 1/4" plywood, with some upholstery foam glued to it, then vinyl stretched over it. I'm recreating that as best I can. The foil will be up in between the supports, attached to the roof, untouched by the ceiling I'm putting up. Ceiling attaches with screws.

So, fiberglass shell, with support beams (studs). A layer of foil attached to the fiberglass, between the studs, with a good 1/2" gap between it and the top of the studs. Then the ceiling panel and wall panels, with a thin layer of poly foam roll insulation attached to the inside, will screw into the studs. Basically.

Thanks!

No, not really.

I don't see anything in my first post that would obviously lead people to think that I'm glueing wood and foam directly to a ceiling covered with foil. My question was only "how to attach foam to wood panel". The other stuff was added just as extra info, and I apologize if that confused things.

I only mention the photo because its there to look at if you can't picture what I'm talking about. And I only brought it up because you mistook what I was explaining. The photos don't matter except in the case of a misunderstanding. So no, I didn't think to mention them.

The other responses seemed to get the point.

Why 1/4" ply and not 1/8" Luan? There isn't much R value in an 1/8" of wood. But there is a difference in weight and the weight is up high.

Basically, I bought what Home Depot had.

I won't pretend that I have this all figured out, or that I've done endless research. There are so many different things to research and figure out, I haven't been able to get to the absolute bottom of any one little thing. I don't really know much about what's out there...I can see what Chinook did, and I can go to the hardware store and see what's there. What they had was really thin, weak wall paneling, which was pretty much just glorified cardboard, and then 1/4" plywood. So I went with the 1/4".

I think it'll be obvious pretty quickly if it's too heavy for the ceiling. I put up the walls after work today, and they work and look great.

Well, thanks.

I do see that Karin took time to post detailed instructions on how to do something, thinking it was helping, and I pretty much said "yeah that's not at all what I'm talking about", so I can understand some frustration.

Hopefully I'll have some good progress photos up soon in my project thread.

My project thread was only referenced in case you wanted to see what I was doing with the foil, which doesn't have anything to do with adhesives for the foam-to-plywood.

But here's the link. It's under the "improvements/projects" section.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5648

Once I've made a lot more progress, I'll get some more photos up.

Thanks!

Again, this thread is only about getting foam insulation to stick to plywood. That's what I ended up using staples for. I stapled it to the wall and ceiling paneling.

Attaching the walls and ceiling to the camper shell is a whole different deal. And that will be done with screws, definitely.