Reverse Lights Signal

Nam

Does anyone know where I can tap the reverse signal for activating backup camera nearby the radio area?

The factory service manual does not seem to have a comprehensive wiring diagram for the truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

When I was running the wires for a backup cam, I followed the path of the taillight wires- on our rig, they can be found going through a large grommet in the floor under the passenger seat. I assume that the reverse wire is in there somewhere. Inside the cab, they run along the floor into the fender- side kick panel where the engine computer is. Since I'm running the cam constant-on as a rear view mirror of sorts, I didn't tap the reverse signal. Hope this helps.

Look like you might be able to pick it up near the tranny / gear selector.

The 88 manual I have has a very extensive electrical diagram.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-96437300-1364742433_thumb.jp

You must mean the fsm for the camper, and not the truck? My 83 Toyota Factory Service Manual has very extensive wiring diagrams.

Not sure on an automatic, but on my manual transmission there's a plug coming out, near where the gear shifter connects to the top of the transmission. One of those wires is the reverse light indicator. With the simple wiring in a 1983 manual transmission truck, it's probably pretty easy to just see which wire is going back toward the reverse lights, or tracing the wire from the reverse lights back to the tranny. Not sure how much more difficult it would be with an automatic, or newer truck.

I think the automatic had a pretty well sealed switch it was reverse lights and park/neural start interlock. Pretty sure the switch came with a wiring pig tail so I guess you would have to find where it was plugged into the truck or locate the wiring going aft.

Thanks all for the help. The FSM I downloaded does not seem to have the detailed schematic diagram. When it stops raining, I'll crawl under the truck near the auto tranny to find out. Otherwise, I can always tap from the back of the truck and run a wire to the radio.

Why not just mount a switch from a hot wire to the unit? Easy to do all under the dash and that way you can use it whenever you want without putting tranny into reverse. There will be very little current draw, it's just a sense line.

for a lot of the 1980s the fsm has a small supplement book of wiring layouts

I had surveillance cameras on our jail building that had been in service since the days of black and white ccd's that had been running 24/7 since 1993 still working when we replaced them in 2011. So the bottom line you could leave them on or just have them come on with the key with no issues.