Starting my wiring project

MontanaChinook

Ok. So even though my appliances don't use more than a couple amps, I should fuse with a 20 amp fuse, because I used 12 gauge wire?

And I guess since the fan says no more than a 4 amp fuse, I might want to fuse it right at the fan?

I don't think I have any runs of wire much more than 6'.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So even though my appliances don't use more than a couple amps, I should fuse with a 20 amp fuse, because I used 12 gauge wire?

And I guess since the fan says no more than a 4 amp fuse, I might want to fuse it right at the fan?

I don't think I have any runs of wire much more than 6'.

When you wire a circuit with several appliances or lights hooked to it - it should be done so all works okay even if everything is turned on at once. May not happen a lot but it is the right way to do it. Fuses are there to keep wires from melting. If you have a 20 amp circuit protecting 12 gauge wire - and somewhere in there you've got a 5 amp appliance with 18 gauge wire - there should either be a 5 amp fuse where the smaller wire starts . . or . . . the smaller wire is protected in some sorf of fire-resistant enclosure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that I'm back to thinking about this again I remember what I need to do. I'm sure if I were using smaller wire, appropriate to what I'm running on that wire, then fusing to the wire size makes sense. But since my appliances are such low draw and my wire so big, fusing to the appliances makes sense. If I put in a fuse that can handle all appliances on that circuit running at once, it'll be a much smaller fuse than I would use if I were fusing for 12 gauge wire. So my wire will be completely safe, since I'm technically fusing for much small wire.