Lost a door that gives you access to the back of the fridge on the outside

gr8white

I didn't do my walk around on my trip with some friends and lost the door as you will see in the pic where I replaced it with card board. This RV will be in a wedding soon and I need it to look good. How can I replace this door and make it look presentable? Also, You will see where I have all the duct tap holding the seems together. The wood is rotted under there so there is nothing to fasten to. Any ideas?

post-6413-0-85310100-1363116989_thumb.jp

Make a door out of some white tin... a RV parts store might have the right size too or something close. Not sure, but I'd think that the doors would be common on many RV's.

HOLY DUCT TAPE BATMAN!

Doors are on ebay all the time. Just look for refrigerator door and the outside ones are the ones that come up. Or refrigerator vent. That cardboard thing needs some holes in it. Fridge draws in air there to work properly. Rotted wood hardens up nicely with some resin and hardener painted on. Try to get it underneath the siding too and screws might hold. For all your other duct tape repairs you should try some eterna bond tape. White so it will look better and sticks forever. Water won't loosen it and it will keep the water out

Linda S

yea this amazing duct tape job was done quick when I was in Niagra falls which by the fricken way Canada would not allow me to cross the boarder because I had a dui 7 years ago! They were really rude about it too!

You could very likely find a suitable cover on this web page. They look small enough to fit your situation.

http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/index.php?cPath=874_130

As to rotted wood around the hatches, I just did a bunch of that same exact rotted hatch framing renovation last summer. A sharp wood chisel helped me dig it out by going after it from the hatch opening. Areas that did not want to break up I took a drill bit to and Swiss cheesed it so it too could be cleaned out with my trusty chisel. Then I ran some cedar wood through the table saw to cut it to the needed dimensions. Glued it in with adhesive caulking which sticks to most anything including wood and metal. The advantage to using the caulking is it will fill gaps where little bits of old wood or old adhesive might be preventing a flush glue job. The cedar is light weight, rot resistant but still has enough screw holding power to do the job. Urethane caulking is a good choice for the adhesive, it will stick to wood and to aluminum. It has enough flex to deal with future expansion and contraction from moisture and temperature variations.

So is the RV the fancy carriage the bride will arrive in or the getaway vehicle?

That is a great idea. I am going to look into doing that. As far as what the RV will be used for in the wedding, the groom told me that he would like to arrive at the reception in it. Im in the wedding.