Need a new shifter boot.

fred heath

My 1978 cab carries the RN28 ID number. Looked on eBay and seems they have RN 20,25 and 30 replacements but no 28.

The boot currently on is aftermarket and in bad shape. Will any boot for my cab work? Do the factory boots screw on or do they friction fit around the hole in the tunnel? Any help would be appreciated. Fred

My 1978 cab carries the RN28 ID number. Looked on eBay and seems they have RN 20,25 and 30 replacements but no 28.

The boot currently on is aftermarket and in bad shape. Will any boot for my cab work? Do the factory boots screw on or do they friction fit around the hole in the tunnel? Any help would be appreciated. Fred

There are two boots if it's a 5 speed and just one if a four speed. Marlin Crawler has them. The boots shown for 1981 will fit the 1978s. For transmissions with a shifter that is bolted directly to the trans, there is a little boot inside a bigger boot. Big one is at Marlin and the little boot is still available from Toyota.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/parts-upgrade/shift-handle-boots

Right. I found out the hard way that if you order a boot from marlin, you get the little rubber boot that squeezes over the stick-to-tranny connection, keeping out crud. Unseen below the outer boot. The other one (not sure what the technical name is) covers the hole in the cab that the stick comes through, and is screwed into the sheet metal. This is the one you're looking at while you sit I the truck.

Jd- thanks for the link. Turns out I have a side shift L43 trans. Toyota dealer is only supplier for my boot.

Guess I'll have to go aftermarket also. Thanks for the help. Fred