Roof/ladder andluggage rack.

Well their taken off going for scrap alum. They were adding weight on sagging roof and rotted areas. Got all the screws out of roof also. Never saw so much goop put on a roof for water leaks. Didn't stop the leaks cause weight from a/c pulling seams away! There is still white goop on roof under alum. kool-seal thats still tacky. Must be 4 or 5 coats of all that stuff on it. Got the tank water inlet in mail today. Its bigger than original so i have to cut and trim to fit it, its also plastic. I am waiting on the sun to ease into the west as its 97 degrees right now,ick

Mr Smoky..

I also cut off the luggage rack. My impression is that it just creates drag. My ladder was damaged from an idiot rear ending the MH, so the bottom mount was mangled so it would not support any weight. So off that went too. At home I can get to the roof much better with a regular ladder, but if your ladder was good it can be useful to be able to get to the roof for repairs when camping.

I think the roof is not nearly strong enough to support an adults weight, so one needs to use some common sense as far as that is concerned.

regards

Keith

The rack had been broken and part of it was missing except for the suport bases in roof. The roof can't take a 57 year old fat man up on it! The a/c has made roof sag about an inch so far. I have it jacked it up to stop anymore roof and floor trying to meet in the middle!

Couple of things. I will probably remove the luggage rack from my sunrader as well. Don't really see a purpose for it.

As for A/Cs, I have the roof one. One thing I really like about the sunrader is the roof seems to be extremely solid. There is absolutely no flex when I walk around it with my 225 lbs. For those with less robust roofs, you might wanna consider a small house type unit mounted in a wall. I looked at one a few years ago. Forget what type it was. It was mounted in the driver's side wall and looked kinda ugly from outside. Personally, I'd prefer one mounted in the rear assuming your rear window wasn't too big.

Anybody here ever see or have a wall mounted unit?

Stripped the roof down to bare aluminum this week and I am putting on a fiberglass roof tomorrow (weather permitting). Raised up the center vent hatch 1 1/2" and this will be enclosed in fiberglass also.

Was thinking of adding an AC unit and I would have built a riser for it but seeing as the converter/charger is only a 15 amp unit I opted for a bi-directional fan vent instead.

Not sure if I will put the top rail back on and I will need to decide soon as if I am going to put it on I will have to add a few more layers of cloth to raise the attachment up so that they will set well above any standing water. Already going to raise the top ladder attachment points.

post-794-1182392402_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Most Luggage racks are really not luggage racks but instead TV antennas.

I thought that is where you were supposed to tie down the lawn chairs :rolleyes: