Neat little computer for RV

zero

I'm going to restate just to be clear. I only posted for the purpose of sharing some info. I'm not suggesting that what I want or need applies to any or all other people. The arguments about things like processor speed are not relevant in my case. Also yes - to some a system that is a few years old is "old school." I don't care. I use things because I can USE them, not because of their age. Hey - aren't Toyota RVs "old school?" Does that mean they are no longer useful?

Again - I wanted a computer that was fully functional with Windows-based programs. I also wanted a large hard-drive for data storage. I also wanted something small and something that runs on very little power.

Note that getting a faster processor means more more power usage. I purchased this computer with compromise in mind. Fast enough to do what I want but will very low power usage. Runs at 1.8 to 3 amps at 12 volts.

We live in three different places during the year so we carry all our digital data/records with us. I like having something this small that is fully functional with the same programs I have on my bigger machines, and will also access the Internet while we travel. And by "travel" I mean using our own wireless Internet and not sitting in a store somewhere using someone's WiFi-to-Internet system.

At the time when I bought this little computer - my 3G wireless Internet account required a device with a Windows operating system and a full sized USB port. Because of that, tablets would not work except for the pricey Microsoft "Surface."

We just switched to a 3G/4GLTE MiFi system so now my wife's new Kindle Fire works on the road. Usually, anywhere that has a 3G cell phone signal also has at least 3G internet access. For 4G, we only have it here in central NY. No 4G when we go to northern MI or northern NY.

I think if someone is in the 200$ range the first place id look is here

http://shop.beta.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=A4A41B4CA13D4754AE2FBF7721EBF357&current-category-id=908B184AED4F29502E6EB3E1E76AFC13&menu-id=products&ref-id=products#/?page-index=1&sort-criteria=1

anything under 300 id get a rep online and offer 200. your first purchase from lennovo gets 10% off anyway.

I couldnt tell you whats on there at any one time, sometimes amazing stuff sometimes crap but the very cheapest thing is still a step above a aspire one. some not much

Now theres also dell outlet, and im sure tiger direct has daily refurbs or whatever.

I think in general with a computer youre not really looking to buy anything at full retail. Theres a type of used that I always buy if I can its like a open box return. basically new but opened. So I linked best buys return channel, and lennovos. Theres dell outlet I think theres an hp one too.

newegg.com definitely gets rid of netbooks for cheap at times too, if a netbook does it for you. If it does Id first get one for 100 at cowboom personally.

as far as aspire one with 1 gb and windows, thats weird cause my 3 year old laptop has somme trouble with windows 7 and 6 gb ram. there must be a netbook version of it.

If im shopping for something I get more specific, Im definitely not shopping for a computer but i was around christmas and still have some links in mmy memory of the right channels in case someone is looking for one.

These are things to check regularly they dont always have what you want.

http://www.medicalartspress.com/e-readers/cbs/271679.html?cm_mmc=CSE_271679

oh i forgot to say i listed the kindle but my favorite little android as far as the retail ones is this one

its in target and barnes and noble, the cheapest thing in the world with a full hd screen.

Now its main weakness is... just what are you going to watch on a full hd screen without a real internal hard drive? I hear you definitely you lose a lot of the mobility of the gadget needing a hard drive with its own power supply somewhere. I didnt say theres a perfect solution if there was I think Id buy it.

ive found that sd storage, as opposed to ssd storage, just using the camera cards while it is getting huge its way slower than the old hard drives.

Definitely getting there though.

The main reason they dont sell a tablet with hard drive capability is because the tablet makers are the same people that sell you the ultra book. they want your payday money and they want your christmas money.

oh i forgot to say i listed the kindle but my favorite little android as far as the retail ones is this one

its in target and barnes and noble, the cheapest thing in the world with a full hd screen.

Now its main weakness is... just what are you going to watch on a full hd screen without a real internal hard drive? I hear you definitely you lose a lot of the mobility of the gadget needing a hard drive with its own power supply somewhere. I didnt say theres a perfect solution if there was I think Id buy it.

ive found that sd storage, as opposed to ssd storage, just using the camera cards while it is getting huge its way slower than the old hard drives.

The main reason they dont sell a tablet with hard drive capability is because the tablet makers are the same people that sell you the ultra book. they want your payday money and they want your christmas money.

I think if someone is in the 200$ range the first place id look is here

http://shop.beta.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=A4A41B4CA13D4754AE2FBF7721EBF357&current-category-id=908B184AED4F29502E6EB3E1E76AFC13&menu-id=products&ref-id=products#/?page-index=1&sort-criteria=1

anything under 300 id get a rep online and offer 200. your first purchase from lennovo gets 10% off anyway.

I couldnt tell you whats on there at any one time, sometimes amazing stuff sometimes crap but the very cheapest thing is still a step above a aspire one. some not much

Now theres also dell outlet, and im sure tiger direct has daily refurbs or whatever.

I think in general with a computer youre not really looking to buy anything at full retail. Theres a type of used that I always buy if I can its like a open box return. basically new but opened. So I linked best buys return channel, and lennovos. Theres dell outlet I think theres an hp one too.

newegg.com definitely gets rid of netbooks for cheap at times too, if a netbook does it for you. If it does Id first get one for 100 at cowboom personally.

as far as aspire one with 1 gb and windows, thats weird cause my 3 year old laptop has somme trouble with windows 7 and 6 gb ram. there must be a netbook version of it.

If im shopping for something I get more specific, Im definitely not shopping for a computer but i was around christmas and still have some links in mmy memory of the right channels in case someone is looking for one.

These are things to check regularly they dont always have what you want.

It's a step above the ebay one it's still a computer with defects. If you need a gaming computer for your MH you might as well get a desktop and more batteries.

for me personally?

my laptop is about 3 years old or more its an asus g72 sort of like a desktop in its day. much more powerful than any of this crap still 3-4 years old. it has two hard drives actually

definitely not deep cycle possible without a generator.

Im not really looking for a 200$ netbook actually I cant see how you missed that. Doesnt help me at all.

im really liking this one

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666499150&categoryId=8198552921644768015

but just trying to get it for a lower price.

I dont actually have any sort of power usage figures to go on but it has a small screen and ill use ssds to lower power some. should be lower power as far as modern laptops.

For $40 more a Nexus 7 with a 7" screen 32 gigs and a real Android OS. Last time I looked the smallest internal drive was 2.5" a little large for a tablet

sometime around may id like to get like a 125 watt poly panel for 100 total . just a rectangle light that for the escape hatch i have.

Yes im going to use a solar panel as my escape hatch vent cover.

um for internal hard drives, smaller laptops like a macbook air ttype use something like msata hard drives.

for the more expensive tablets they use those too

most tablets use SD cards for their hard drive, or what used to be camera

they can get huge they are 256 gb but they are slow.

My RV's laptop companion is a Lenovo X230T, 5-6hrs Battery life, charges my cell phone... and it can handle my 3D CAD design works! It's not for everyone but works for me so far

I think I thought about that line too nam

It has a small ips screen first, low voltage cpu.

Pretty much all intel laptops run adobe suite and world of warcraft at this point.

Its a good contender and I can remember finding it cheap.

I guess my keys to get 5-6hrs. on the battery is 1) I turn of radios (Wifi/Bluetooth) while I am working so no annoying Facebook/IM...poping up and saves some battery power as well 2) I replaced with conventional HD with the Samsung SSD...lots faster and cuts down power consumtion quite a bit. Core i7, 250GB SSD, and 16GB RAM and no Window 8 (has to pay for the "Start" button) as good as it gets...I don't use the tablet mode much and it makes the screen wabble when typing...sometime I wish I got the non-tablet but I was curious for the touch screen...which the pen isn't very accurate around the edges