Toyota Odyssey cabin battery wiring

Leroygsmith

I have an 81 Odyssey. The battery box is empty except for dangling wiring that has been cut at some point and then wrapped up with electrical tape. I have no idea why or when. But I would like to restore the wiring to use a cabin battery and of course my appliances when we are off the grid. The interior lighting and appliances do function when hooked up to the 120VAC grid. I want to make sure that the new cabin battery is correctly installed and that it can be charged off the alternator when driving.

Can you help me with diagrams, specific or generic, or an explanation of how the circuit should look?
Thanks, Leroy

YOU NEED A VOLT meter set to 12 to 14 volt D C then with the rv pluged in to 120 volt see if you get power and you can find the polarety which is ground and which is hot . YOU COULD TAKE A TEST LIGHT sharp tip with a light in the handle and has a aligater clip ground cost seven dollers for a good one. HOOK THE GROUND TO THE FRAME UNDER SOME WHERE TOUCH TIP TO THE WIRES ONE AT A TIME then when it lights that will show the pos wires. for just checking output no need to woory about polarety .with a test light connect across the wires two at a time if lights up with eng running not pluged in you should have 12 volt charging with eng on. some of the models use line fuses on the postive wires to rv pos termanel. there will be someone on here who owns a odyssey can help you more WELCOME

yes you have A WHICH IS POS WHICH IS GROUND AND b DO YOU HAVE POWER THERE PLUGED IN TO 120 AND POWER THERE WITH ENG RUNNING AND THE BATTERY HAS TO BE HOOKED UP THE RIGHT POLARITY. MY WIRES WERE ON MY DOLPHON BUT HAD TO REBUILD AS WERE ALL ATE UP BY ACID

Thanks I will check the polarity and voltage as soon as I can. I assume that once I have the individual wires identified that I will connect all of the positive ones to the positive terminal of the yet to be acquired deep cycle battery and likewise the negative conductors to the negative terminal.
Do you have any recommendations on a choice of battery?

Hi,

IN my 1992 Itasca, I (barely) have room for a type 31 battery, a Trojan 225 model - it is a tight fit, and I plan to remove the battery box, install a spacer and this will drop the battery box by approximately 1 - 1.5 inches. This will facilitate battery removal, access to the posts and safety clearances. By the way, this is one solid battery have camped for three - four days no problem.

i use one large group 27 it is a very close fit on my DOLPHON I GO THREE FOUR DAYS REMOTE CAMPING. AND YES YOU ARE CORRECT

the dolphin box is made for type 27 it goes in and doesnt rattle or move.

The only dimension that it has room for is a taller battery. Whereas the 29 is the same height but larger.

I bet there is a size thats like a size 27 but taller but then its not a cheap mass produced deep cycle anymore.

i dont know if the oddyssey is different than the dolphin but I have a feeling its exactly the same. Theyre just sort of generic parts bought from the rv channel.