Anyone ever been to ground hog day in Punxsutawney Pa?

gr8white

Me and a friend is taking the toy home to ground hog day next week but I am having a hard time finding out where to park. The net says people in RV's park in Wal Mart and another shopping center. But can I run my generator there? I am trying to find someone close that has private land but so far no luck. Any advice?

My little kid and I relocate many woodchucks every year. Last spring and summer we caught and moved over 20 of them. Guess we have are own "woodchuck" days here. Some of the local dairy farmers get ticked off at me because I don't kill them. My kid and I catch them in live traps and move them up to some state forest just a few miles away. I wouldn't be surprised if some come back and we catch some of the same ones over an over. Not interesting I guess unless you've got a fondness for them. I do. We had a few pet woodchucks and porcupines. Both make cute pets until they get big and ornery.

This time of year, I just enjoy seeing the green in photos instead of the snow and ice outside now.

post-6578-0-56643800-1359394667_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-70280400-1359394671_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-45844500-1359394682_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-92800200-1359394687_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67098100-1359394696_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-70159900-1359394703_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-41500500-1359394711_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17371300-1359394716_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42202800-1359394720_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-77075100-1359394725_thumb.jp

How many do you want? If it fits they ship. Dogs never learn. My latest trick is to toss them into a plastic trash can with a hay fork and take them for a ride they are very slow and it's a lot easier then shooting them. As near as I can tell the only thing they are good for is a meal for the Fishers.

Me and a friend is taking the toy home to ground hog day next week but I am having a hard time finding out where to park. The net says people in RV's park in Wal Mart and another shopping center. But can I run my generator there? I am trying to find someone close that has private land but so far no luck. Any advice?

I used to live not that far away but I never been I gather it's quite a party in town.

jdmaris, Thank you for being so kind, what a wonderful experience to share with your little one, great pics!

Sure they can be a pain for the pooches, and those pesky groundhogs can do some serious damage to your garage/shed/smokehouse, ect.~ but they too deserve the kindness you are shown. Thanks for sharing!

We too had to relocate critters on a regular basis...mostly raccoons and rats. The trick is to take them far enough away...

~oh and Derek...If the puppers get into porky again-Cut the ends off the quills with a real sharp pair of scissor~they come out much easier....:)

Edited by PixieChick

How many do you want? If it fits they ship. Dogs never learn. My latest trick is to toss them into a plastic trash can with a hay fork and take them for a ride they are very slow and it's a lot easier then shooting them. As near as I can tell the only thing they are good for is a meal for the Fishers.

I had a pet porky for two years. Real cute at first. Name it "Prick." He(or she?) used to climb on top of my head every morning while I was having breakfast. When it got big it got a bit onery. Would try to climb up my back and I'd go to push it off and UP went the quills. It was getting so I was plucking quills out of myself every day. You can pet a porcupine just like a cat as long as you don't go "against the grain" and the porky is in a good mood. When ticked off and the quills stick out - you can't touch it without getting speared.

Me and porky finally had a show-down after it hopped into bed one night. I tried to move it and I got quills in my cheek - kind of like a hound dog. I took him up to the woods and let it go. Up a tree it went. We DO have plenty of fisher around. Don't know if the porky wound up being food for one or not.

post-6578-0-62152300-1359422716_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19285300-1359422719_thumb.jp

I had a pet porky for two years. Real cute at first. Name it "Prick." He(or she?) used to climb on top of my head every morning while I was having breakfast. When it got big it got a bit onery. Would try to climb up my back and I'd go to push it off and UP went the quills. It was getting so I was plucking quills out of myself every day. You can pet a porcupine just like a cat as long as you don't go "against the grain" and the porky is in a good mood. When ticked off and the quills stick out - you can't touch it without getting speared.

Me and porky finally had a show-down after it hopped into bed one night. I tried to move it and I got quills in my cheek - kind of like a hound dog. I took him up to the woods and let it go. Up a tree it went. We DO have plenty of fisher around. Don't know if the porky wound up being food for one or not.

LOL oh hell no! I would not ever get close to a porky. Unless its a woman of course where I believe in equal rights.

Oh, I'd dealt with them before but this particular time there were 3 dogs and just so many that I went to the vet. Perhaps I'd have done it myself if I knew what it would cost!

that was cheap, trust me..lucky it wasn't after hours or on sunday! Last time we had to pull quills it was out of a mama peahen. She was on a nest up on a hill and we heard her raise a ruccus defending her nest. Ended up having to push him down the hill with a shovel. He did end up with the eggs though...fortunately there were only a few quills in her breast-poor girl!

omgosh that is a super sweet story!

Wow excellent site! Thanks for the share. From what I read, Wal Mart is the place to be in Punxatawney for Groundhog Day. Huge tailgate event.

Have a great time!