I dont know what I'm doing!

zulujim

so im the proud new owner of a 93 Toyota Itasca Spirit. 22'

i have a general question about the inside lights and stuff..

i am just learning so forgive me for any dumb questions. :)

when i fire up the generator i can turn on the inside lights and the bathroom fan .. stuff like that. (well,.. actually everything).

but when its off nothing works.

my question is this .. seems like some of that basic stuff like living area lights could also just work from the battery without the 110v ?

i have a battery in the back (starts the generator) and one under the hood.

is there a switch or something that im missing?

thanks.

Yes every thing 12 volts should work in the camper there is no switch it all should work. The generator powers the converter/charger and makes 12 volts for the light etc.so some thing is not switching over. Your generator starts and usually the battery for the coach starts the generator and powers every thing else 12 volts. I don't know what you have for a converter but the early converters had a relay inside that turned off the battery feed when the charger was on and some times they stuck and would not switch to battery power. You may also have a look at the rear battery is should have a smaller wire along with the heavy generator starter wire that would be for you coach 12 volt power. It most likely a simple fix but I can't see it from here got a friend that understands 12 volt wiring?

You're in luck. Winnebago is one of the few manufacturers still in business and the also have some relevant wiring diagrams online. 1990 and newer, though I'm sure much of the same concept apply to earlier versions.

If you're 'lost', best to have a map (wiring diagram) and compass (multimeter).

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/

Didn't you try the lights before you bought it? I really don't think there is anything wrong except for your coach battery. Your gen set is just running power through your converter to your battery and making it work even though it's shot. Do all the lights work when you plug into shore power? bet they do.

Linda S

The battery starts the generator, should be the same battery that powers the lights. The generator makes the converter work no battery required plug it in no battery required some thing is missing on the 12 volt side coach battery supply The generator running should charge the coach battery along with lighting the lights. What ever it is it is a simple fix. Disconnect the coach battery and see if the generator starts if it does then go to your coach battery and see whats up. Got a volt meter?

i havent had a chance to dig into it yet but what you say makes perfect sense.

the coach battery must be ok.. it is starting the gen.

i think more than anything i was just trying to get a general understanding on how it was supposed to work.

i think you are right. im sure its something simple.

hope i get a chance to check it out tomorrow.

im wondering... i haven't looked into the coach battery compartment yet... could there be two different hot wires connected? one for the gen and another for the rest? maybe the other one is not hooked up?

According to my Kohler manual the gen set starts from the engine battery not the coach battery. Makes sense that if your house batteries were low you could still start your gen set to recharge them. My Tiger coach battery was completely dead but the Onan generator still started. Get your coach battery tested. That is your problem

Linda S

I have seen toyota motorhomes where the generator wasn't even connected to the coach unless you plugged the power cord into it. Generator started up just fine though

Heres a generic drawing of how the 12 and 110 volt circuits are tied together.

Your genny should start off the truck battery. I would bet your coach battery is toast.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-19489700-1358915668_thumb.jp

Going to the truck battery with a large starter cable from the generator is kind of nuts when the coach battery is right there. The diagrams Derek supplied show the coach battery supplying power to the generator. Mine is connected to the coach battery and others I have worked on are also not saying they all are but it makes a lot more sense to me would you want to kill your truck battery trying to get the generator started? Also once it's started it will recharge the coach battery but not the truck battery.

Your are right on the one like his there is no wiring options shown for a gen set but the ones that have the option shown they are supplied by the coach battery.

Your are right on the one like his there is no wiring options shown for a gen set but the ones that have the option shown they are supplied by the coach batte

I have a factory installed generator and I will comfirm tomorrow that it starts from the truck battery. Easy enough to do. Just going to remove the cable from my coach battery. Of course zulujim could do the same so he would know

Linda S

Sunraders might be different to Winnebagos.

So Sunrader and Winnebao ignored the generator manufacturer and installed them the way they wanted instead. They would void the warranty for that generator and be responsible for repairs. I don't think so

Linda S.

Well, these guys aren't much help:-

"Fit a dedicated starter battery, such as a ride-on lawnmower battery, so starting power is not drawn from the RV's coach or chassis batteries."

http://www.ehow.com/how_7665882_install-onan-generator-rv.html

Some agreement:-

"Do not use your RV battery as a starting battery for the generator. RV batteries are not particularly good starting batteries and can be damaged if used repeatedly in this manner. Use a dedicated starting battery."

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/13/rv-generator-install

On the 1990 Warriors, the optional genset is connected to the coach battery

Well, these guys aren't much help:-

"Fit a dedicated starter battery, such as a ride-on lawnmower battery, so starting power is not drawn from the RV's coach or chassis batteries."

http://www.ehow.com/how_7665882_install-onan-generator-rv.html

Some agreement:-

"Do not use your RV battery as a starting battery for the generator. RV batteries are not particularly good starting batteries and can be damaged if used repeatedly in this manner. Use a dedicated starting battery."

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/13/rv-generator-install

Pretty dumb how did they expect to recharge it never been real impressed with ehow's answers they get payed by the hits.. The little generator starter does not draw enough current to make much difference to a deep cycle.

One problem I see with starting the gen with the truck's battery is the length of the huge DC cable running from the CAB to the Gen. This cable is pretty expensive and if one does not use the right size, voltage drop will afect the ability to start the gen. Also, it may heat up and cause further damages

Easy to find the answer, disconnect the coach battery and see if the genny starts.

Make sure you protect the wires disconnected from the battery so nothing shorts out. I have a small 4 inch piece of garden hose I slide over the cable end when I disconnect the battery for the winter.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auro