Stock Sunrader propane tank capacity for horizontal

Totem

This week I had my propane run out while using the Sunrader as a waiting room during my wife's surgery. (yet another awesome purpose for toy home). So I fired up Siri and had her get me some. The gauge on my tank has always been about as forthcoming and truthful as a democrat during elections on gun control.

The tank hit max at 7.3 gallons. That was pretty good I thought, almost 2 20 lbs tanks worth. (about 78% of two full grill tanks) I was just wondering is this normal and what y'all out there usually see after filling. Also any clues on replacement gauges or how to clean them?

-totem

This week I had my propane run out while using the Sunrader as a waiting room during my wife's surgery. (yet another awesome purpose for toy home). So I fired up Siri and had her get me some. The gauge on my tank has always been about as forthcoming and truthful as a democrat during elections on gun control.

The tank hit max at 7.3 gallons. That was pretty good I thought, almost 2 20 lbs tanks worth. (about 78% of two full grill tanks) I was just wondering is this normal and what y'all out there usually see after filling. Also any clues on replacement gauges or how to clean them?

-totem

That sounds right they are 30# tanks.I have put as much as 7 gallons in mine. The gauge in mine is just a gauge not a political statement so I can't help you there.

I assume that was a 30lb tank. (about 4lbs per gallon). I have a 20lb horiz, it holds about 5 gallons. The gauge on mine sounds like the same as yours, I had a gas gauge like that on my old VW van, it was always correct when I fiiled the tank, but after that is was worthless.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I assume many have already found this out a long time ago . . .but for those that haven't . . . many well known propane exchange companies are only putting in around 3.5-4 gallons of propane into 20 lb. tanks even though they are designed to hold 4.7 gallons. A big rip-off as I see it. They started doing it a few years back when propane prices had gotten very high. By lowering the fill they were able to make it look like refill prices hadn't changed much. When propane prices went back down - some kept using the same low fill rate. Walmart via Blue Rhino and Costco were doing it. I suppose others. Last year while in northern Michigan I stopped to exchange two 20 lb. tanks at Walmart (Blue Rhino brand). The so-called "filled" exhange cylinders were only 35 lbs. each, gross weight. That means they had 4 gallons of propane each instead of 4.7. I went across the street to a Ace Hardware store and got my tanks filled. Same price as Walmart and they got just shy of 20 lbs. fill each. And yes, I know 80% fill is mandated for safety reasons due to expansion. But a 20 lb. tank filled with 20 lbs. of propane IS only 80% filled. When filled to 17 pounds they are only 70-75% filled. I won't exchange anymore unless I have no other choice or the place posts the fill rates.

I was looking at my local Sears last week and they are selling 20 lb. tanks from Blue Rhino and weigh 38 lbs. gross. I.e they have 19.5 lbs. of propane in them. Good for Sears. Mabye Blue Rhino has different fill rates for different stores? Sears tank with 19.5 lbs. of propane is $20. 1 buck per pound or $4.34 per gallon. Not cheap when compared to bulk fill up prices but not too bad either for the northeast.

I wouldn't trust the refill places either the guys filling the tanks could not care less if it was full or not. Open the bleeder if it spits it's full. I full tanks at the camp ground and I let them run till the float cut it off that's as full as you can get them. By the way we charge $18 to fill them at the camp ground any thing bigger it's by the gallon. WalMart is a good place to get rid of old tanks though and get new painted ones I have traded in the old tanks and got new ones with no problem I don't think the people handling them have a clue.

Agreed. I ditched two unconverted older 20 lbs tanks at blue rhino at a felpaush grocery tank swap out . Got nice new tanks; those now get filled where my rig does at Notowwa gas where I know exactly how much goes into them.