Have a small leak from the steering gearbox. Cleaned up everything and drove it and no leaks now. I cannot find any info from my usual sources except the oil and the amount, 400 cc. hope it's not empty, several questions:

1.. There is a 20mm plug accessible from under the hood with a shallow 10mm allen wrench hole and it's pinned,ie a centerpunch was used at the edge, so it probably won't come out easy. Is this the port to add the oil???

2... After much looking at the interwebs I could not find one for sale for the 1 ton pick-ups. I got hold of Tech support for CARDONE who did some searching and said only one they make will be the rite part, # 27-8479 . This is not a part # that most stock so they will not order one. But is this the right part, and is this the only one???

Thanks in advance

i was not aware that the power units had gearoil in them at all. the oil for the resever is dexron atf. i k new the manuel boxes contained gea r oilof course. dont have mine at home will look at my 4wd tommorow and fsm book.

The steering gearbox is in 2 parts. Top is the power steering booster powered by it's fluid, which is bolted to the steering gearbox which has 90 wt gear oil. it's the gear oil thats leaking. I don't want to try to check / add gear oil by removing that cap only to find it's part of the gearbox, not a filler cap, and I've broken it.

Do you have an OEM power steering box or is it a manual box with an add-on hydraulic assist kit?

Toyota dealer said it's all factory, as did several people who looked at it year before last at the Felton Toy-in.

I'm still wondering exactly what sort of power steering system it is. All the OEM Toyota systems that I've seen use a power steering pump and a power steering box. Nothing else. I've seen aftermarket power steering add-on kits that add a power assist hydraulic cylinder to the the drag-link. It has a steering motion detector on and when whenever a left or right turn is begun to be made, the power comes on. It's a common add-on on heavy trucks and farm tractors that originally had manual steering. On a Toyota 1 ton, the OEM type power steering from a 1/2 ton truck is a bolt-in swap so I cannot imagine why somebody would add aftermarket. I've got an 87 Toyota dually 1 ton here that I just stripped. The PS box is the same as in a 1/2 ton truck. Here's an add-on kit I recently installed on an IH tractor:

100_8619_zps8572aea0.jpg

Here's the OEM power steering pump on an 87 dually 1 ton with an EFI 2.4 . .

100_0452_zpsa68584da.jpg

Here's the 1987 1 ton dually PS box (look close). ..

100_0453_zps4bc3d107.jpg

Well I am wrong.

As it turns out the oil is for the manual boxes, the power steering box has only power steering fluid in it, according to tech support at Cardone. Also that part number is the only one they make for the 1 ton. Since it's not cheap nor easy for me to change and the leak has pretty much stopped I'm going to just keep an eye on it for now. The fluid level in the pump has not changed so it's not leaking as much as I had feared.

I tried to edit my second post and ended up deleting it, sorry.

jdemaris

I'm still wondering exactly what sort of power steering system it is. All the OEM Toyota systems that I've seen use a power steering pump and a power steering box. Nothing else.

Yes, and the pict looks like mine except I've got the V6 so the large air box assy and hoses block that view of the gearbox. Sorry for the confusion.

Vanman. that sounds correct. You have one unit. I looked in my 88 manual, yours should be similar, If you have manual steering, then there is a fill plug on top. if you have power steering, its lubed by power steering fluid.

regardless I would try some good ole Stop Leak first, hopefully it will swell and soften the seal enough to seal it.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Not that all leaks are created equal, but I have a leak in the manual steering box of my 83 toyota. It LOOKS bad; there's oil and a bunch of dirt & grime all over it. But, the last time I needed to add more gear oil to it was over a year ago. A small oil leak can make a big mess.