I have just purchased a 1991 Dolphin with a blown head gasket. Having read quite a few threads about engine swaps I have decided to swap in an 8 cylinder Lexus engine and transmission. Some questions I have are as follows:

1 Which year models of Lexus 8s are best for the swap, is there a limit as to how new the engine is?

2. How difficult is it to deal with the computer issues.

3. I have read where there are parts available that make this a bolt in conversion. Where are these parts available from?

4. I live near San Antonio TX. is there anyone that lives near me that is familiar with this conversion that can advise me?

5. I am planning to put in the attached transmission is there a problem with that?

6. Are my 150,000 3rZ engine and transmission worth anything?

Thank you

F. Parkhurst

I'll start by saying that your engine and transmission are worth, probably, scrap metal value as they are now. However, if your engine has never been fixed under the Head Gasket Recall you could get most of the repair cost covered by Toyota and they become much more valuable! :)

As for the Lexus V8 swap, the only person claiming any knowledge of the swap was MaxxFab who has been absent for quite a while now. I'd suggest you dig up one of his old posts and send him a message directly. I don't know if he even drops by to read what's happening on the Forum.

You might have some luck searching the more dedicated Toyota Pickup Forums for people who have actually done the swap. Nobody here ever has.

Please take lots of pictures when you are doing this and keep us updated as you go.

Do you know about this one:

http://www.supracharged.com/swaps/87rv/index.shtml

Also this site?

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/index.php

There was a guy on here a while ago that offered the mounts for $150, not sure if I can dig up his post I will see...

A.

EDIT:

Here is a post from yotatech on the mounts:

http://www.yotatech.com/f161/1uzfe-239224/ (Post # 6)

86449d1312676580t-1uzfe-maxxmtrmts.jpg86417d1312578196t-1uzfe-maxxfabmtrmt.jpg

I'd love to have your wire harness for the trans if you will cut it out and ship it me (98230)

Here is a quick youtube of a 2UZ in a truck...

Andrew.

Check Yotatech forums. Most Toy owners are not too hot for more power since we like to take out time on the open road :) What I know if it's a lot more cost effective to buy the entire donor car since every thing will match and you will need lots of little things from it

I'll start by saying that your engine and transmission are worth, probably, scrap metal value as they are now. However, if your engine has never been fixed under the Head Gasket Recall you could get most of the repair cost covered by Toyota and they become much more valuable! :)

As for the Lexus V8 swap, the only person claiming any knowledge of the swap was MaxxFab who has been absent for quite a while now. I'd suggest you dig up one of his old posts and send him a message directly. I don't know if he even drops by to read what's happening on the Forum.

You might have some luck searching the more dedicated Toyota Pickup Forums for people who have actually done the swap. Nobody here ever has.

Is the recall still in effect? Is it limited to vehicles with less than 100,000 miles? Do you know where there is information on the recall?

Thank you, FBP

Check Yotatech forums. Most Toy owners are not too hot for more power since we like to take out time on the open road :) What I know if it's a lot more cost effective to buy the entire donor car since every thing will match and you will need lots of little things from it

That is exactly what I was going to do with the donor car. I might just fix the 3RZ but I am sure I am going to also need a transmission.

Thank you, FBP

Is the recall still in effect? Is it limited to vehicles with less than 100,000 miles? Do you know where there is information on the recall?

Thank you, FBP

The recall is still in effect and I don't remember any mileage limit. Start by running your VIN by a Dealer to see if it's been done. Not all V6's were included.

SSC V06-1990 through early 1995 Truck, 4Runner, and T100 with 3VZ-E

I would suggest to email Victor Camperi from Findlay Toyota. vcamperi@findlayauto.com

He has helped many 3VZ owners find out if they qualify for the recall or not.

He is very easy to deal with and does not mind looking it up for you.

Go to TundraSolutions thread on the recall ( http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/32512-4runner-head-gasket-recall/ )

Here is his card:
FindlayToyotainfo.jpg

EDIT: I just checked the TS forum...

For information regarding recall status on your vehicle, please contact Toyota Customer Service at 1-800-331-4331. Mustang [Victor] has informed me he is no longer able to search random vehicle queries. This thread is now closed.

Andrew.