Condensation in winter?

Totem

Hi all. While in the rig to get it ready for a weekender I noticed ice flows from overhead cab bay windows. Fearing leaks I closely inspected, but none were there. It seems condensation is forming inside like a greenhouse then running down the glass. Is this normal? Where is the moisture source?

If you are running any kind of propane, stove or the heater it gets real moist inside in cool weather. I camp pretty late into the season and I have to run the exhaust fan to get rid of the moisture. Warm air inside of the camper holds a lot of wet and it condenses on the cold glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Install a couple maxxair roof vent covers and then keep your roof vents open, that will allow the moist inside air to escape

(or get mixed with dryer outside air). I have not had an interior moisture issue since installing the maxxair vents and keeping

the vents open year round.

Totem, A dehumidifier would get rid of the moisture, but opening up the vents would do the same thing.

You get a couple warm moist days (warm is a relative term) and over a day or two, this air slowly gets into the camper. Then at night or a quick cold front, the air in the camper can't get exchanged fast enough, so the moist air inside condenses on the cold windows and other cold surfaces. Roof vents would allow the air to exchange faster, if the air in the camper is warmer than the outside, it'll vent out thru those roof vents almost real time.

NOTE - The same thing happens inside your gas tank and can lead to moisture and water in the gas if the fuel level is low. If you know your not going to use the truck for a while, its a good idea to fill up the gas tank before storing the truck.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I always keep my tanks full on all things, not only to combat that but also as extra preparedness in case of a fuel run.

if i know its gonna set longer than three months it will get some stabil. Never had fuel gunk on me. Trust me if I had the Max Airs I'd be using them. unfortunately my rig only has two vents and one got that AC unit on it. that leaves only the bathroom roll up vent; now I am ok with leaving that open a crack and will try it but i doubt its gonna remove the moisture thats in the rig from people for a while. Now its too dang cold to get the dehumidifier to work so I have given up a bit.

Totally appreciate the help though Dennis and I think I have an idea...It arrived yesterday. There was a guy on ebay selling the Traveler 18-20 covers (new old Stock) with a "Make an Offer" option.. I scored for $80 free shipping. I believe he had one more. He stated they were used floor models, never been outside. What arrived was brand spankin new in box with all accessories in plastic and even patch kits. he threw in wheel covers too, all brand new. So my plan now is to get that puppy on after cracking all windows. it should keep the rain out but let air through. Thoughts guys?