1987 1 ton long-frame dually FF - mystery weights?

zero

I just got done stripping and cutting up a 1987 1 ton "box truck" with a full floater dually rear. Just behind the cab there are two large solid iron weights. One above each frame rail. Anybody got any idea what purpose they served? This truck with the big box on the back certainly didn' t need any ballast.

100_0607.jpg

100_0538-1.jpg

100_0527.jpg

Are you sure they're weights and not just very solid supports for the box that was installed? They look like they might line up with the rear frame and the supports I can see just forward of the fuel filler.

Before throwing it out, check to see if the fuel tank is the easy to find 17.2 gallon one and not one of the 'collectible' 26 gallon ones!

Are you sure they're weights and not just very solid supports for the box that was installed? They look like they might line up with the rear frame and the supports I can see just forward of the fuel filler.

Before throwing it out, check to see if the fuel tank is the easy to find 17.2 gallon one and not one of the 'collectible' 26 gallon ones!

I took the box off. The weights didn't touch the box or any mounts.

The tank is no good. I found that out when I dumpted 5 gallons of gas in the truck in hopes to hear it run . .. and all the gas poured out the bottom onto the ground.

In regard to "waiter's" question - no lift gate. Just barn doors and a step bumper in back.

Wow those are some screaming fat spring packs. Looks like they fitted that truck out for more weight than a 22re could ever move.

Linda S

The owner was supposedly an art dealer. But yeah, that is some big stack of springs for a little Toyota.