1988 Sunrader Price & Advice

athensaaron

Hi Everyone! I have been researching Toyhomes for about two years now and am considering pulling the trigger on a 1988 Sunrader. It is VERY clean with 86,000 miles and appears to have been meticulously maintained. It has the 22re with automatic and 1-ton axle. Of course, the seller is asking a premium $10K. I am willing to pay for a clean machine, but do you think I should wait for a better priced rig? post-6544-0-51511300-1352939342_thumb.pn

Thoughts?

I think the pictures are too small to tell much of anything by. Might work if he was selling stamps. :)

Did he send you the 100 pictures he mentions? Or did he post them online?

The price seems to be in line with what's being asked.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/3406852191.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs/3315548269.html

Except this one:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rvs/3406494958.html

Thanks, guys. He did send me the pictures. They look good and I spoke with him on the phone at length regarding the history and maintenance. I would probably prefer lower miles for the price, but it sounds like it has been taken good care of. I'm going to sleep on it...

Asking price seems about right, but it is just an asking price and owner needs a little leverage. I think the key line in that ad reads "..Trades possable but I am looking for cash". I read that as "I'm willing to settle for something of lesser value".

I'd offer 7000 and see where it goes. If he tells you to take a hike, then so be it. Even at full price, you won't lose your money and will be able to get a lot of that back if not the full amount. But 8K (80% asking price) seems like a good negotiable ground if I was a seller. Some sellers are out to make $$ and other's (like myself, don't LIKE strangers and don't have the patience for buyers) just want to sell and get on with it. Very few ppl want to be used car salesman.. I certainly don't.

The pictures are a bit small, but looks like a nice rig.

To me the whole object of a motorhome is to enjoy it not to profit from when you sell it. For the guys that enjoy tinkering with them a fixer upper could be had for much cheaper. If that's you than I would pass on this one but if its really nice and you just want be able to go without much fixing it should be good. I wouldn't worry about the miles, most of real low ones seem to have set a lot and not been maintained.

Ya mine has 88k miles I think more miles is a better sign.

Just me but I prefer the. 18 foot sunrader if you are able to pay full retail.

Just that three foot shorter butt would make a lot of difference to me in a parking lot.

I see them go for more too in the summer.

That one I would definitely offer 7k 8k like the previous people say. Not a lot of buyers in spokane I would bet.

Again just me but if I had 10k I would also shop sprinter vans.

I was a first time motorhome buyer, uninformed and undereducated in what Toy homes should cost. I paid $24,000 for my Toy home. Granted it is very special because of the 4 wheel drive, I paid entirely too much money. I was under the impression that everything had been completely & meticulously restored and was in excellent operating condition, when in fact, there was thousands of dollars worth of water damage and the head gasket was bad/engine block corroded. The motorhome looked really nice, but extremely expensive repairs and damage were hiding under new wall paper and freshly changed fluids.

Be very wary of the condition people claim you motorhome is in. Do the research ahead of time (like you're doing now), figure out EVERYTHING you need to check before buying,a and tell the buyer you'll make an offer once you've assessed the motorhome. I wish I would have done that in hindsight.

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

Hi Everyone! I have been researching Toyhomes for about two years now and am considering pulling the trigger on a 1988 Sunrader. It is VERY clean with 86,000 miles and appears to have been meticulously maintained. It has the 22re with automatic and 1-ton axle. Of course, the seller is asking a premium $10K. I am willing to pay for a clean machine, but do you think I should wait for a better priced rig? post-6544-0-51511300-1352939342_thumb.pn

I've looked a half-a-dozen Sunraders. I stay away from anything being sold as "pristine" or "perfect" with high price tags. No wrong or right here - just my preference. I'd rather buy low and if I get any unwelcome suprises - I'm not too much in a hole. Low price means I can afford to go all through it and update as needed. Last Sunrader I looked at was a 1986 and 600 miles from where I live full-time. Had 6 new tires - the six lug 7.25" circle wheels front and back and the full-floater rear. Most everything worked but had some cosmetic and water damage inside and out. Had 75,000 miles on it and ran very good. I could of bought it for $1800. I passed it up but now regret not buyng it. Here in my part of the northeast - Toyota motorhomes are not real common. The highest priced Sunrader I looked at was $3300. I'm working on buying one now for $800. Full floater rear, low miles, fuel injected, auto trans, but needs a lot of work. Mostly from sitting and from water damage. It's 180 miles from me. If it was closer I'd bought it already.