Planning to reseal my roof. What needs to be done?

84TOYRV

Is there another thread on this? My Toyhome is 28 yrs. Just want to prevent any future leaks. Thanx! :)

Clean, clean, clean, prime, seal with a product like Snowcoat.

The best #1 professional way to do this is to remove the trim, scrape off all the old sealant, install wew sealant, and reinstall the trim with new screws . (Lot of work)

The way most of us do itis;

I cleaned the seams using paint thinner, pried out any loose stuff,

I bought 6 caulking tubes of the EPDM flowable sealant.

I bought some 1 inch disposable paint brush (get a couple they are like 50 cents each) and cut the bristles off to about 1/2 inch long.

I worked on 6 foot sections at a time. I squirted a bead of the sealant on the seam, then used the brush to brush it in the cracks and crevices. Be neat and it will look OK.

NOTE - While your cleaning look carefully at the Aluminum roof where its next to the edge. I found a mystery leak that I chased for a year (not a big leak, a drip every couple hours). The Aluminum had a 1 inch crack, looked like a scratch. put a little sealant on it, no more mystery leak.

I also put it around all the vents, roof, frig, toilet, and also on the screws and tabs that secure the roof rack.

The whole job took about two hours

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

When you are talking "seams", are you refering to the aluminum roofing seams, where the sections meet? Are these seams a place where leaks occur? Should I scrape all sealant away from vents, edging & redo or is this not necessary. Maybe just look for places in sealant, that look compromised and redo just those. I know that I can make huge project out of this and that's not my objective, if it's not necessary. I just want to do what's due, considering it's age. Thanx so much for the help. I plan to start working on it, first thing next spring. :)

• 3 months later...

Thanx for all the help, you guys. I will be very carefully attacking this job, soon. I just had no clue as to what to use and how to safely apply it. I just love my Dolphin too much, to let it go unprotected. My 5 yr old grandson thinks its the Taj Mahal, next to their tent. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My local RV repair shop uses the following roof coating / sealant material, and highly recommended it to me.

PLAS-T-COTE-: CLEANED® Alkyd Fibered Roof Coating: (not suitable for rubber roofs): Coating for metal and fiberglass roofs. Alkyd Fibered Roof Coating is a non-asphalt, high quality chemically engineered roof coating that contains long fibers, pigments and non-drying resins. It is a thick, white fibered or aluminum fibered colored coating with an amazing ability to conform to, an protect against all weather conditions. It has excellent acoustical and insulating qualities.

HOWEVER: My roof now has a myriad of small cracks and personally I'm not impressed. Any material used on an aluminum roof has to be non drying, which is a tall order when the summer temps on that roof can be over a 100F. An al. roof like mine expands and contracts perhaps a 150 thou or even more, so a sealant must be able to move with the roof. My sealant is now 18 months old and appears rock hard.

I would like to ask how the EPDM product is holding up, has it hardened (can you stick your fingernail into it), and is there any cracking, (Ref. reply #3 by Waiter)

Thanks

Ron