Furnace issue

schnackj

Hello all,

I've gotten a lot of help fixing up my camper from here already and I thought I would make an account and ask a question I haven't found

I have a 1980 Dolphin, the one with the tandem axles, and have an issue with the furnace.

I can get the pilot light to come on, and the blower to come on but the main burner doesn't seem to work. Its not an issue with the regulator because the water heater burner seems to work great.

has anyone seen this before

thanks in advance

Do you have the make and model # of the furnace? I'm not sure how the old style furnaces cycle, i.e. fan runs to purge combustion chamber or not.???

If it has a pilot light, its an old model (newer units have electronic ignition)

Make sure the thermostat really is working, Does the unit try and light when you turn up the heat on the thermostat. - Some of these thermostats have an ON/OFF switch on the bottom, make sure it ON.

You may be able to jumper the thermostat wires on the furnace to bypass the thermostat. Listen for a very light click sound when you do this to listen for the gas valve is opening.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You need a fairly hot battery to turn the fan fast enough to close the sail switch and no restrictions in the air flow (bees nest etc.) You might try it while it's plugged in that will give it a voltage boost and check the furnace port on the side of the MH and make sure there is nothing in it. Another problem is often the igniter board they do fail with age. The manual Derek suggested shows you where the proofing chain is (sail switch/over temp), they have to be satisfied before the gas valve will open so if you check the voltages right on the board and they are correct the board is toes up. Dinosaur boards are the best ones IMHO they will try to light 3 times the stock one’s only once they make one now the even turns off the fan so it does not just blow cold air until the battery dies.

• 2 months later...

You need a fairly hot battery to turn the fan fast enough to close the sail switch and no restrictions in the air flow (bees nest etc.) You might try it while it's plugged in that will give it a voltage boost and check the furnace port on the side of the MH and make sure there is nothing in it. Another problem is often the igniter board they do fail with age.

I'm having difficulties getting my hydro flame furnace to fire up (it lights 1 in 20 attempts) and I'm also looking for the elusive sail switch. I think that may be the culprit.

I'm going to say igniter board.Turn your heat up to max once the fan is running check the white wire on the igniter control board it is the end of the proofing chain if it has 12 volts the sail switch, over heat, and thermostat are working.

• 3 weeks later...

Make & Model would be very useful.

The fan is blowing, but is the sail switch working?

oh ya pull the vent cover off and then turn it on and watch the sail switch. tons of stuff gunks up that thing. has to jam up eventually actually