Advice on buying from out of state

CountryRoads

First off I'm a newbie so this is my first post. I live in Colorado and there are very few Toys available here. For that reason the ones that are available tend to be overpriced and in need of a great deal of work.

So... I've begun looking in other states and am wondering how to go about protecting myself from scammers. What advice do you have for protecting yourself when trying to buy from an out-of-state buyer?

Here are my concerns:

#1. Will a down payment hold the rig for you until you can make reasonable accommodations to fly in?

#2. What's a *reasonable* amount of deposit?

#3. What if the rig is in much worse shape once you are able to view it in person? How do you handle that?

#4. How do you handle temporary licensing? Will the state patrol give you a break if you can show a bill of sale with an explanation that you are taking it home?

#5. I'm a single female -- should I be worried about having a seller pick me up at the airport?!

#6. How do you pay for the rig?

#7. What about insurance? Do you simply call your agent from out of state and hope you are covered?

And finally, what am I not taking into consideration?

I've already learned a great deal from reading through this forum. TIA for any advice you are willing to share.

CR

I bought my Toyhouse 1600 miles away, heres what I did.

Buyer beware - Talk to the sellor on th3e phone, get a fell for them, ask for a lot of photos, Look at the their history if e-bay.

1) Yes - depends on agreement between you and sellor. Keep time limit reasonable, I negotiated two weeks.

2) I gave $200 as a non-refundable deposit. If I failed to complete the deal withing two weeks (pay for the truck and pick it up) The sellor could keep the deoposit. He was welcome to show the vehicle, but I had first choice at the negotiated price.

3) Either I accept it, or I can try and re-negotiate, but if the sellor says no, I walk away, and he keeps my $200.

4) Make sure VIN # match on the title and the Truck. Get a bill of sale. Cal your Insurance company and malet them know whats going on and you may need coverage for the vehicle.

5) Yes/No - I don't think I would advertise that fact to anyone (unless your dating), your opening yourself up for problems.

6) Negotiated - Cash, cashiers check, paypal, etc. (I paid cash - it generally talks)

7) Do not drive the vehicle unless you have insurance, or nothing to loose. Especially driving it home.

OTHER STUFF - Be prepared to walk away. have an alternate plan, I was prepared to call a cab and have them take me to the nearest Rental car company, I had several other RVs in the area that I was prepared to look at.

Lot of photos, bottom (underneath) , top (roof), inside, outside, engine, etc, etc, etc.

I took a sleeping bag with me, Everything else, I bought at Walmart where I spent my first night on the drive home.

Good Luck

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I took a sleeping bag with me, Everything else, I bought at Walmart where I spent my first night on the drive home.

Good Luck

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You might also stop at Sears and buy some tools/jack/etc, just in case you need them on the way home. If you don't open them and use them, so much the better. Return them when safely home.

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. Because I'll be alone, does anyone recommend joining Good Sams or AAA immediately after the purchase? I looked at one 85 Dolphin over the weekend (locally) and the seller told me about getting a flat on the way home from Arizona. It was one of the rear duallies that blew out and AAA wouldn't change it for him. The seller (who is just a weekend warrior, really) was surprised by that.

But later I realized he probably was only carrying one spare and it was a 5 lug for the front and didn't have an adapter.

I'm finding several of the Toys currently available don't have roof a/c. The sellers claim it was never needed but I have a dog that will travel with me and I want to be able to comfortably leave him in the coach when I have to leave and can't take him along. Can I easily add rooftop a/c on one that never had it or should I stick to those with original systems even if they don't work? Or... is it really *not* needed?

Again, thanks for the great advice -- it's really appreciated.

CR

AAA has different package for RV's, maybe he didn't upgrade? my thought is they should've towed it in for repair.

as far as air, depends where you are traveling as far as needing it. there are charts giving outside temp and inside temp for a car, wouldn't be as hot in a camper, but some guidelines. they are easily added as most fit into standard 14" vent hole. mine didn't have air but did have the plug in the ceiling for it. adding a new one might be a better deal in that it would be new and not 20+ years old. of course you need 120 volt to run one so parked to go in shopping etc wouldn't work anyway unless you want to set up a generator in the parking lot or have an onboard one that can run while parked. always parking in the shade would solve the problem most of the time unless 100 degrees.

as waiter pointed out, talk to the seller alot, you'll get a feel for their honesty. telling them that you will be driving it xxx number of miles once picked up, if they hesitate you might want to keep on looking for a different one. having to make a decision quickly for that great deal might not be a option for you, making a fair deal maybe should be the goal :o). if they start off telling you they got up to 20 miles per gallon, i'd be real careful. one thing that has occured on this site is having someone close to a unit you might be interested in to physically take a look at it for you.

welcome to the group, hope you find the one right for you. be patient.

CR - One other thing. These toyhouses are 20 plus years old, they are like buying an old house. The more you can do yourself, the better.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

in oregon you can get a 2 day rv moving permit for i think 12$

in most states it works the same way.

I bought my rv its plates were 2 years old. So I bought this permit before I bought the rv. It might seem backwards but I had to be sure i could drive it home or there was no point.

the moving permit is legit in the other states, in my case california.

All that truly matters (wish I would have known better) is:

1) Engine is running strong with no head gasket problems.

2) Axle is updated & safe.

3) NO WATER DAMAGE!!!!!!!!! Water damage is easy to hide with new wall paper. People will say they completely restored the Toy home (like I was told), not true. My Toy home came with extensive, very bad water damage/rot that was hidden behind pretty new wall paper. I didn't know any better because it was my first motorhome. I've already had to rip my overhead cab completely apart and now I have to remove my entire passenger wall next summer. SO, watch out and inspect VERY carefully for water damage!

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

Edited by Odyssey4x4

If you let us know where the RV is located, soemone may take a look at it four you. If it is within 100 miles of where I live, I would drive over and check it out.

(Sorry, I need to read up on how to reply using quotes to more than one post!)

Thanks again to all for the great advice. I learned about the full floating rear axles from reading through the forums so that was very helpful. And I ask everyone I contact about water damage but haven't determined how to figure out if someone is lying to me about it. Especially if they were clever enough to cover it up.

I don't mind doing some work but I don't want to have to gut the thing and start from scratch. But I'm also a neatnik so buying one that's been allowed to be infested with mice won't cut it. The one I saw over the weekend smelled and was dirty and dark but probably could have been made into something cute with a fair amount of elbow grease and $$$$. (They wanted $5K for their 85 Dolphin and it would have needed nearly as much to update.)

I'm willing to learn new things and would love to be able to fix most of what needs fixing. One thing I liked about these Toys was their relative simplicity, so I'm hoping to get proficient enough to be virtually self reliant.

And, BobC, thanks for offering to check out RVs. So far of what's available in the West, I like this one in Phoenix the best but haven't made contact yet with the seller:

http://phoenix.craig...3338437398.html

CR

The following is available in WI:

1992 Winnebago Warrior $3900 7h7jg-3341477736@sale.craigslist.org

The ad reads: 1992 Toyota Winnebago Warrior This motorhome is in perfect condition.

And, BobC, thanks for offering to check out RVs. So far of what's available in the West, I like this one in Phoenix the best but haven't made contact yet with the seller:

http://phoenix.craig...3338437398.html

CR

#1 That's not an '88 (5 lug front end, '86 or older);

#2 That's not 18' (or 17').

#3 With that cab/grill design, it's not a V6!

#4 Bunk area side walls look like wood paneling. I don't think that was standard. Might be covering damage.

The following is available in WI:

1992 Winnebago Warrior $3900 7h7jg-3341477736@sale.craigslist.org

The ad reads: 1992 Toyota Winnebago Warrior This motorhome is in perfect condition.

At that price, I'd be willing to bet that it's a scam. I think I remember seeing the same picture used in (probably) an EBay Auction.

The link isn't a link, it's the email address to reply to the ad.

http://madison.craigslist.org/rvd/3341477736.html

There are a lot right now in portland one is 1700

I'm definitely pencilling in a business of flipping them. Verifying their ability to drive and flying out.

At 1500.

There are a lot of Toy homes for sale in the Pacific Northwest. The other day I counted about 10 of them on craigslist in this region. If you had a week or so of time you could fly up here and tour several and have something to choose from.

The following option will give you some extra flexibility when buying out of state.

In the countryside areas, just outside of the larger cities, you can find secure RV storage yards for about $30.00 a month. That would allow you to purchase a Toy home then move it to a yard and fetch it at a later date. You could also arrange to have a garage pick it up and service it before you come to get it. You might even be able to arrange with the storage yard to have them put on a rain RV cover if you ship one to them.

I did find out something interesting last week. Southwest Airlines sells tickets in single leg trip segments. Their prices are half the cost of a round trip, not the kind of ripoff like many airlines where you pay almost as much for one way as for round trip. Last week Seattle to Denver was $95.00 one way. Not a bad price at all in this time of high gas prices. Plus they let you check two bags at no extra fee, another big bonus. Some coming up here in person to shop is certainly feasible for someone in Colorado.

This a great idea!

I can spot some of the scammers because they are either too vague or I'll see multiple postings around the country. But I didn't pick up the one in Phoenix I linked to as a scam. I knew the size was wrong but I thought the seller was likely a weekend warrior who just didn't have all his numbers right.

Do others feel this was a scammer? I'm beginning to think there are more scammers than actual sellers out there!

I'll 100% guarantee that the Madison one is a scam. There were CL ads all over the country for a '92 @ $3900. They'd all been flagged off.

Don't know about the Phoenix one. The length 'screw up' might just be from measuring wrong (not bumper to bumper). From the back of the cab to the bumper? From the front of the bunk to the bumper?

as far as spotting rot from leaks, look for uneven siding on outside. should be flat and rigid. a little pushing can find soft spots that may need to be dealt with. of course stains are obvious but can also be covered up easily.

I'm finding more people don't respond to email/phone calls than do! I wonder what the percentage is of scams to actual rigs for sale? One last question -- how do you go about deciding a fair price since I see them all over the place?

And didn't I read that it's best if all 6 tires are from the same manufacturer? Are there some of the mid 80 rigs with 6 lug axles on both front and rear? If not I'm assuming this means the spare is for the front only, right?

i begining to think that there are only a dozen toys actually out there. could be they sell and the seller doesn't bother to take down the add? just trying to think positive about people. i doubt the scammers are just picking on toyotas, probably a lot of motor homes out there that aren't for real. if scammers maybe they only return calls that are people saying they want it and wonder if they can send some money to have them hold it? keep looking, a real one that will work for you will come up.

And didn't I read that it's best if all 6 tires are from the same manufacturer? Are there some of the mid 80 rigs with 6 lug axles on both front and rear? If not I'm assuming this means the spare is for the front only, right?

Ideally they'd all be the same (including the spare). Next best would be all the same on the same axle. So 2 Brand X on the front and 4 Brand Y on the rear.

6 lugs front and rear began in '87.

I'm finding more people don't respond to email/phone calls than do! I wonder what the percentage is of scams to actual rigs for sale? One last question -- how do you go about deciding a fair price since I see them all over the place?

Ya spare is for the front.

The tires are all the same, just the wheel lugs are different

I bought and sold a lot of cars on craigslist this year,

And I write on my ads that I prefer email etc.

The reason I don't do calls is the bots, there's a lot of bots that just say I'm interested in your car call me

Tons of illegal aliens are in the car flipping business, they can't read your ad they can only understand the car year price and model and they offer you half. That's it lol a total waste of time but they have lots of it.

So for me I want all the questions up front ideally. I created a google voicemail for craigslist that I can ignore also.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the owner today and was told it belonged to her mother who wanted a larger RV. The tires were purchased over the summer but she doesn't know if the rear axle is full floating. And Karin's right, there really aren't many of them available in Colorado and the good ones sell like hotcakes! Because it's been for sale for awhile I'm thinking it needs a fair amount of work.

I have some pictures of the interior (couldn't figure out how to upload them since they are on my hard drive) but if anyone's interested I can email them to you. Or if someone explains how to upload them I can do that, too! The interior shots are rough looking -- the overhead sleeping area appears to be sagging and the seller said it needs a new water pump and had both pets and smokers using it.

NOT SHURE THE SIDE OF THAT GRANVILL SORT OF LOOKS LIKE A ONE TON FLOATING AXLE I E THE GOOD ONE

Always ask for high resolution pictures and zoom in to check the details out. Pics. posted on classified adds always look twice as good as in person.

As the owner to take a video or use facetime/skype...so you can look where you need to look

Find a local inspector to inspect and give you a report before you book a ticket

Look for leak in the areas above the cab...most leak there

Trust your first instinc...if something isn't right, chances are it's not going to work

Take your time...be patient. It took me 2 years to look for the right one.

California rigs seem to be abundance and less rust...Southern Calif. is my favorite market...price is good too