Pop-up Roof Tie Downs

My son built the RV pictured here from a 1985 Toyota Hilux diesel and a Chinook camper shell. It has four steel bars extending out from the side walls in the front and back just under where the pop up top sits when tied down. There are the straps to tie the top down, of course, but I am wondering if there is also supposed to be a clamp. Thanks for any help.

Bill.

P1010531_zpsddf124a6.jpg

I think the stock set up was a latch on each side on the front and 2 latches on the rear. They had a ring for a lock to keep things secure.

You might try looking around the tent trailer section for parts that would work.

I have only seen the owners manual for the 1977 Chinook. In that year, that there were only interior tie downs, a total of five, two in the front, one on each side and one above the back door. If you have interior tie-downs, you probably do not need any exterior latches. However if you want to other latches, you might look at the type of latches that I have on my Sunrader Adventure, another type of pop top. It has no interior latches or tie downs and the exterior latches are rubber ball latches (also called hood latches) . There are only two ball latches, one on each side of the front. The top on mine is very heavy. Here's a link to those latches https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=771. They are flexible and easy to use.

There is a Yahoo Chinook Group for owners of all vintages of Chinooks. If you pose this question to the Chinook group, you will likely get a more complete answer. The link to that group is

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotachinook/

Your son did a really nice looking rebuild. Would you care to share interior pictures. Sue