I'm new to Toyota motorhomes, however am a multi decade owner of large fuel guzzling motorhomes. I recently bought a 1987 Escaper, which I've used only a few nights, but am already addicted to the little beast. It needs lots of TLC, which I'm beginning. I've started looking for parts with some success. I've exhausted myself with online searches for a spare wheel. It looks like the spare was rear mounted on a bracket which was attached to two 1 1/4" steel box welded to the back bumper. I can likely weld together a spare tire bracket of my design, but where do I find a wheel? Thanks

If you're local to John/Waiter, he had a single wheel for sale recently.

I also have an extra rim and tire if someone is looking.

I wanted to carry two full spares for my trip to Alaska, so I bought an extra

rim and put the best of my old tires on it.

(by the way, I didn't need to use either spare on the trip)

Send me an e-mail if your interested, $35 plus shipping.

waiter --at-- iflyez --dot-- com

John Mc

I'm definitely interested in the spare tire. I know there is a lot of discussion about tires. My coach has good looking tires, not dry rotted etc, (I'm used to uv problem with age etc,) I do have a question, the previous owner put what are nearly new 195/14 load range C on front, and 185/14 load range D on back duals. What is your thinking on this.

Yes, I have a spare spare. I bought an extra rim for our Alaska trip and mounted one of my old tires on it. We didn't use either spare, so If someone needs the rim (and tire, , but its OLD), let me know.

I live up in NW Ohio, First $35 (plus shipping) takes it, not sure how much it would cost to ship it.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 4 weeks later...

Got the tire, Thanks John Mc Surprise I found that it fits nicely inside, behind the passenger seat with the seat about 3/4's forward. this may be my permanent solution for location, since I'm unlikely to be traveling with a passenger.

I think I said earlier that I got an 88 Escaper about 6 weeks back. At $4K, I Probably overpaid for the motorhome, since I spent much of the first month repairing various nits and one big deal. The motor was slow to start at first, but once running sounded and ran good. about on week in, it stopped starting, unless i used starting fluid. I did all routine type checks, replaced fuel filter, etc, tested that there was fuel being pumped to injectors, which I cleaned. finally talked with a real mechanic, he said he has seen partial failure of fuel pumps on mostly low mileage (I have 76K) 25 year old Toyotas. he brought a pressure gauge, sure enough, fuel pressure was about half of spec value. So we dropped the fuel tank (essentially had to drill out and replace the 25 year old bolts, installed an new $175 fuel pump, fixed, starts on first turn now hot or cold. Another thing, we replaced everything rubber (vent pipe etc, and a couple of rusted metal sections of gas line.

Last week, I Spent a few days in Westmoreland State park in VA. Mostly working on stuff. I've looked at a couple of the "Storage Boxes" mounted on the rear in the spare location.. Having more exterior storage would be good. Some things I've observed.

(1) The furnace makes a squeal like a dry bearing for first 2 or 3 minutes every time it comes on. Kind of disturbs the sleep.

(2) Very slow pressure bleed down such that water pump comes on about ever half hour, can't find a leak so far.

(3) Water leak (it rained pretty hard) around the front overhang window is biggest problem, though I think RTV has stopped it. Looks like at sometime the upper cab contacted a tree limb with some significant dents as a result. It's not easy to see, and even harder to get to to repair. Looks like a couple of holes were drilled and an attempt to pull out some of the denting, guess I may attempt to continue this process, but it'll take another half dozen holes, some Bondo / Bondex and sanding. Still the window will remain slightly mis aligned by maybe 1/4"

(4) I'm working on what I consider a design safety issue: The coach / house battery sets in a box (which is not sealed ) under the couch inside, with a hose venting to a grid on the exterior wall. I've had perhaps a dozen camping vehicles, and this if the first with the house battery interior to the coach. So far I don't see any signs of overcharging, but the concept of having hydrogen sulfide gas in the coach doesn't set real good with me. Where is your coach battery?

(5) I got the refrigerator going on gas (it has a pezio-electric igniter) with great difficulty. Anybody have a guess before I tear into it.

(6) I did install both a smoke detector, and a carbon monoxide detector at the insistence of my children. (I'm 75, and they generally think I'm not competent to look out for myself.)

Looks like this little beast will keep me busy, but maybe not out of trouble.

BOB

1) Unfortunately, the oil-lite bearing is dry (very common with these furnaces), and there really is no way to fix it other than replace the motor.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3520

2) We leave our pump off except when using it.

3) Look carefully on the inside of the window frame, if its full of water, this is the problem. You need to drill a couple 1/8 drain holes on the outside of the frame to allow the water to drain.

5) I took my igniter apart and cleaned it, also cleaned the gas jets at the same time.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3499

Good Luck

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

HELLO AS JOHN MAC AND I BOTH HAVE DOLPHINS I MAYBE CAN ANSWER THAT. MY RV BATTERY IS IN A SEALED PLASTIC BOX UNDER THE DINETTE SEAT ACCESSIBLE ONLY FROM OUTSIDE BEHIND A VENTED KEY LOCKED DOOR.

Thanks, that makes better sense. With my escaper, it is hard to tell what is original config, but right now the battery is accessible only from inside, there is a vent, but it is also open to the cabin.

The box that is there is a standard box like one uses for a trolling motor. It obviously is not original. I'm working on a sealed on interior for temporary. But I really want it outside.

There is a space beneath the cabin floor, beside the single outside compartment, just forward of the driver side rear wheels, which may be large enough. I'll have to build a box which is hinged, or drops down for battery access. Now what's this about Greyhounds?? My great grandpa claimed he started the line.

SAD TO SAY BUT GREYHOUND FILED BANKRUPTCY A FEWYEARS AGO MASS CUTS DOZENS OF STOPS WHERE I LIVE ARE DUMPED THIS AREA OF 70000 NOT A SMALL TOWN CLOSED UP THE DEPOT AND NOW YOU CATCH AT THE ARCO A M P M GAS STORE> LOT OF TOWENS NO BUSS AT ALL NO MORE OR TRAIN EATHER

I also have an '88 Escaper built on an '87 chassis. My battery box is a sealed with vent tube unit located under the fold down sofa. The original box was broke so I had to purchase a new vented box. I got the biggest one I could find so that I could put a series 29 battery in it.

My unit is a 20' with rear side door.

Thanks Bob C, been meaning to call this was one of questions. I just finished fashioning a sealed box with vent tube, and have battery in beneath the couch. I still don't like it so will continue on working on another option. Sounds like we have the same Escaper. Have you obtained any manuals for it? I assume your spare is mounted on the back if you can I'd like to see a pic of how it was mounted. I have two 1-1/4" steel box welded to bumper and to cross member on frame, I'm guessing the tire rack uses these someway. Bob H

Try calling the large Uhaul locations. They may have some stock left over from the Toyota moving trucks. I bought some spare wheels plus newish Goodyear tires from a Uhaul servicer.