'86 Sunrader 144k $6900...Overpriced or what?

runfromturtles

Depending on the condition of the Home and the systems, $6900.00 isnt completely unreasonable for a SunRader. Yes, 144,000 miles is hefty miles, but if the engine has been well maintained, it's reasonable to think that with a little refurbishing it would be ok. My concern would be tranny if an automatic with that many miles, and the suspension, ball joints, etc as well. There are a lot of Sunraders going for upwards of 10 grand plus. So as with everything in the Toyhome world, the price is always subjective to Condition, Condition, Condition!

One can find one cheap and put a lot of bucks into it, or find one that is priced in the upper bracket with little needed. Personally, I would not make any hasty purchases, as there are actually many of the Toyhomes available in the market. The prize is finding one with a balance of the right blend of care, condition, and price. One might need a willing to travel to get one that fits their bill. I think in this market, to make a hasty decision would be their greatest disappointment.

that is a very rare combination of 22re and 4 speed manual.

almost all 22re toyhomes are auto, like mine. Like consider maybe 95%

If I had the money I would buy it.

I think its about 800 over what Id offer though.

That is so far as I know the best toyhome as far as what was offered.

A 4 speed 22re sunrader. Thats it.

A 5 speed v6 oddyssey america also exists.

it is also the rear dinette layout I prefer. look at how skinny the sunrader hall is though its jam packed.

as far as the winnebego, I came very close to selling this toy home and buying a 24 foot winnebega class a, 454 engine with 40 k miles.

If you are not moving much that could be a good buy. the toyhomes real value is in the actual traveling, and the reliability.

for the living in part that extra space would be nice.

If you dont plan to leave the eugene area with it, by all means get a class a or class c.

As a matter of fact, get a cheaper one. no point in getting a newer one, they dont move much and are often subject to forced sales.

Do you think I would ever be able to find something with 80k miles in good condition in the 5k range?

Sure, there are many out there for that range.

Though some are sold, here are examples what is offered all the time. They go fast once listed, but they do come up often.

http://us.yakaz.com/posts/00090i7pshrm6d8a

http://us.yakaz.com/posts/0006n141iq4sgn8c

http://www.reachoo.com/ads/70111134?utm_source=yakaz

http://www.reachoo.com/ads/68008978#chicago-1987%20Toyota%20Dolphin%20Escaper%20RV%20(Rockford)%20$4500

there are many searches you can do, and as stated, you might have to travel, and as stated by others, maybe that can be introduced as part of the deal. They pay to fly you out, or for fuel, etc.

Also, any reason why I shouldn't get a class a 90's winnebago for the same price!!!!

http://salem.craigsl...3269963721.html

It all depends on what you want in the end really. The Toyhome experience is a taste to the minimalist size, and to the maximum adventure of the drive. Being able to go just about anywhere without hassles, parking, and without the use of a ton of fuel to go the same distance as the bigger boys. It takes less to heat, less to cool, and has a following like no other segment. Nothing can be made more versatile to ones needs, and if you own one, you know the difference. Anyone can own a big motorhome, but only a few really know what the Toyhome life truly is....AWESOME!

Mine is the dolphin 300 called the den model. Same as that sunrader.

You can call it rear kitchen. But it also has the two chairs instead and a couch instead of a dinette.

I prefer rear dinette also however for some makes it doesn't matter as much. I like to sleep next to all three windows as opposed to two.

Another advantage of rear dinette is the stove top is near a window that slides open.

The interior of that one with 40. K miles looks pretty minty too.

If that one is legit its free money. Would hit 10 to 12 on ebay all day.

Both of those sunraders look good to me. One is the rare manual 22re one is low mileage.

I don't know about class as. If you're in the diesel ballpark that sounds good.

I remember looking into gruman bread trucks with the 4 cylinder cummins bt.

But I think that's all been scavenged now and the next thing to save up for is those mercedes diesel vans.

Any recommendations on the bigger motorhomes? Looking at that sunrader has just made me realize...it's just too dang small. I believe there are some isuzu engines in the big motor homes of the early 90's...So many options. Thanks again for all your help. Still deciding.

That would be a trek with the isuzu 4 cylinder turbodiesel. Very nice, high quality coach. But, don't expect to find one for less than about 15K.

As for reasons to not buy any of the other large RVs, other than 4 dollar a gallon gas, nothing comes to mind.

That last one with 40K says 4 speed, which generally means a manual tranny. If it is in decent shape that is a great deal.

The one with 140k has new tires, looks to be in good shape and is the very sought after 22RE/4 speed stick combo. It is currently listed at 6200 and worth every dime, IMO.

The reason it is written that way is they are most likely entertaining offers, actually they were very clear about that. That is the very likely his starting price, not the selling price. A lot of people try to run an auction on craigslist. He says right in the ad you need to make the "right offer" to get it. Seller does not want to pay the listing and commission selling fee on EBAY. But then a lot of people don't like to buy from Ebay so I suppose it all works out. Of course craigslist will kick you off if they catch you running an auction situation.

Didn't catch that! I hate dealing with salesmen. Could not trust that seller. Doing that shows his true character and if something was wrong he would hide it. I am hoping to look at an 80s new horizon tonight, just right near where I live. I might become a toyhome owner after all!!!

Getting back to the various models, the rear dinette is popular. I do like them and wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I also like the rear kitchen for a few reasons. First off, having the main seating area right behind the cab is nice, assuming the chauffer and his passengers like to communicate while driving. Also, I like the fact that the bath is not directly behind the cab because it allows the driver to recline his seat a bit and it also allows you to modify the cabover bed to make it larger. If I had such a model, I'd like to make a fold up section which would transform the cabover bed into a king size.

I don't like having to use my bathroom, but, it sure is nice to have when you do need it, so, the bath stays for me.

One other thing to consider when evaluating different models and their bathroom layouts.

My Sunrader had a "wet bath" meaning the bathroom itself was the shower. This is how it's done, generally with front bath, rear dinette models and also rear kitchen models. The rear bath models have larger baths with separate showers which sounds preferable. But having now owned both bath layouts, I will take the wet bath layout any day because the wet bath means a large shower with a convenient seat. The rear bath model has an incredibly small shower in the corner. I have not yet used it, but, I don't imagine it will be much fun. I have even tossed around the idea of gutting the rear bath and converting it to a wet bath.

^ I second what Rader said; Have wet Bath ; Its a MANS bathroom for sure; you can S.S.S. all at the same time thereby making it much more efficient on water use and time. Man I almost wish my regular bathroom at home was that way. I also like shoes that have no laces for the same reason; less time and effort spent on it.

When I had the rear dinette model the only thing I didn't love about it was the driver seat didn't recline because of the bathroom.

I could remove the stall and leave the pooper or even just take out the one wall to it.

Never using the shower anyway . The pooper is good to leave for resale or emergencies.

Other than that the rear dinettes a big advantage. First when you cook open the sliding window. That's nice in a rear kitchen you basically have to open the door becuae the worthless rear window doesn't let air out.

Second the king size bed and the views.

And if you were camping with two beds don't you want some space? And the bathroom between the two beds? Rear kitchen the people sleeping up top step on the people below.

Also the whole cooking experience is better when you have the space next to the stove to put stuff, not a sink. Plus next to the sink, there's more space. There's useful counter space.

And for better or worse the rear kitche has a bigger bathroom. Just as worthless but bigger

Cons of rear dinette:

More weight stress in rear on frame extension welds, hassle of bed assembly compared to slide out couch bed, the stink potential of the bathroom being so close to driver.

not as good for scenery for passengers as they only get a fade away from horizon instead of train like side to side views.

Lack of ability during travel for passengers to converse with driver. * this is probably the biggest one.

However, I agree that I think rear dinette is better layout over all even though I have never owned a rear dinette.

I like the rear dinette, no doubt mostly because that is the model I own. It has that huge rear window for light and views. My 1983 does have those dual skinny windows on the sides which dont allow a great viewing experience, but the later models do have larger side windows. I like the idea that the weight of the appliances being more forward, as Totem mentioned, weight the rear is the last place one wants it. It is the extended off the actual frame, and in my thoughts, the weakest portion of the frame. not to mention that one doesnt want a lot of weight in the rear pulling anymore contact weight off the front tires than possible.