My 86 Toyo 22r has an auto transmission. The dip stick is almost impossible to read. I am useing red Mobile Synthetic but never sem to get a consistant reading. I drained it twice, the first time I put in the 2.5 Quarts that my 1988 pickup truck manual called for but it was too high. The second time I tried to refill it with the dipstick and it took less than two quarts. Does not seem like much fluid...

What is the proper amount?

I also have what looks to be a pan gasket leak so I am loosing some fluid even parked, tried to tighten the pan bolts but that did not help. Is a pan gasket replacement pretty straight forward or are there any tricks I should know of?

The drain and fill the amount is whatever you took out. If it was hot more came out than if it was burnt and cold.

Its an estimate. 2 to 3.

Whhen you dropp the pan be sure to wipe the gunk off of the bottom and clean the magnet. That will be closer to 4 quarts. Its an entire quart of gunk. Full synthetic is great but look into walmart brand dexron 6 its semi synthetic and 4.27 a quart.

Because the filter is a strainer its my opinion you don't need to change it but it doesn't hurt.

Taking off the pan is 8mm bolts leave the corner ones on but loose then take them off. When retightening do every other one around the whole thing. You can use rtv but it shouldn't need it.

You're supposed to check it whille the engine is running. Clean full synthetic fluid is hard to read and if you've changed it twice and have a leak I don't think your problem is dirty fluid, the newer stuff is much thinner than the old dexron 3 stuff

Also at walmart they have an excellent price for riselone dexron 3 with stop leak. Maybe throw in one of those with your gasket change as preventive maintenance. I did that. Even without a leak.

Thanks for the advice Stamar. I guess most of the tranny oil stays in when you drain it? Seem like they say something like 7 quarts on a rebuild and only 2.5 on a change. I will drop the pan and remove the quart of guck and replace it with shiney hard to read semi or full synthetic ASAP, no Walmart around here (One of "the last great places" without one , I guess)...

Yes I believe it is 8 quarts half of which is in the torque converter. There is something called a passive flush which gets all of it. Disconnect the coolant line, connect it to a drain pan. Put a funnel in the dipstick, with an assistant turn the car over until one quart is drained then stop ( ie one quart is going in stop when 1 quart is drain and then get another quart.

Or buy or fashion a a 8 quart 2 gallon jug full of trans fluid and stop when its empty.

Fix the leak first. If you want the cleanest full synthetic tranny in the world that would set yo

u for life.

Humboldt just got its first walmart this year. Definitely the best as far as oil. Dexron 6 at oreilly cost 7