Roof rack end plug fix

snail powered

One of the end plugs on my Sunrader roof, ie luggage or baggage, rack was partially fractured off.

It was a simple fix to rebuild the missing area by using epoxy putty. I used the epoxy repair sticks from the hardware store that you knead to mix the inner core with the outer core.

Mix up the putty and stick it to the inside edges of the tube with your finger to secure it then build it on out creating a solid plug. No need to remove the broken parts just start filling inside them and blend into that shape. Make your putty filler piece slightly over sized. A couple of hours later after the epoxy has hardened go back and bring it to final size with a file and sand paper. Spray paint for a color match, I sprayed both my end caps for a good match. Even if you are missing a plug all together you could build one up with the putty matching the size and shape of the originals. Photo below shows before paint.

post-6369-0-83521500-1347133766_thumb.jp

Karin

Edited by karincorbin

I have a roof rack on my Odyssey, but, I am seriously considering losing it. Don't store anything up there other than my canoe, but, there are better things I can put up there for that task. My old Sunrader had a roof rack that did come in handy. I used it to help support the bike rack that I had strapped to the spare tire on the back.

not a luggage rack; an ancient TV antennae. dont trust it that much unless its a small load.

great replacement for it when it gets a tree branch damage is to replace it with electrical conduit bent to same specs. added a smidge more weight but is much more solid an object. now if only the screws that hold the mounts into the roof were bolts with washers instead of screws you could really tie some stuff down...