I am the owner of a 1991 Regular Cab 4x4 pickup which I am in the process of building into an off road firewood hauler. I cut firewood on a large forested property with old logging roads and skidder trails and need to haul heavy loads over rough terrain. The plan is to upgrade the suspension, rear axle, brakes, and gearing in order to handle the heavy loads as well as to fit the truck with a large flatbed with stakesides. The semi-floating drum brake rear axle will be upgraded to a full floater disc brake axle via a kit from Front Range Off Road which uses new heavy duty axle shafts, and adapter brackets which allow full floater bearings and hubs from '79-'84 solid front axle trucks to be used in the rear. A truss will be fabricated to further strengthen the rear axle. In addition to the added strength of the rear axle, I'd really like to be able to run dual rear wheels. I see that the Toyota motorhome rearends came in a few different configurations (I'm aware of the problems with the 5 lug semi-floater axles), but what I haven't been able to figure out is whether or not all of the 6 lug rear axles came with the 7.25" bolt pattern. My rear axle of course is 6x5.5" and I can't seem to find adapters anywhere which would allow me to run dual rear wheels. Was there ever a Toyota motorhome with 6x5.5" dual rear wheels? If so I'd love to get a look at the adapter used between the wheels in order to see if I could use it on my truck. Right now I am running these 16x7.5" Tundra steel wheels and could easily find two more for the rear:

blackwheel.jpg

Truck in it's current form:

IMG_1633.jpg

No all Toyota dualllys have 6x7.25 lug pattern. Custom wheels can be made but I have never heard of them making a 16 inch wheel for that. Putting a 1ton toyota axle might be cheaper than the front range set up and make up for some of the cost but you would have to find one. Call these people and check first. This is the only place I know of for the toyota wheels.

http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/

Pretty much all the 1 ton axles are geared at 4.10 or 4.30 so I'm guessing you would need to switch out the gears but the differential is the same as yours and you could use your existing gears. For axles near you check

www.car-part.com

Linda S

Thanks for the tip-I e-mailed custom wheel to see if they had some kind of adapter. The Front Range setup is a little pricey, but I think it's the best option in that it also allows me to run disc brakes in the rear (getting a heavy load going is great, but stopping it is nice too! :) ) and to use lockout hubs. I plan to spool the rear, so it will be nice to be able to unlock it and use the front axle only in certain situations. I'll see what I get back from Custom Wheel.

EDIT

I found this picture on Full Size Jeep forum-I wonder if I could get a fabricator to replicate it?

Duallyadapter.jpg

Edited by Badfish740

The SEMA Toyota Tundra dually project used a Toyota Hino division dual rear end, maybe that would suffice with some narrowing? http://www.autoblog....-dually-diesel/

Found your other post , kinda neat...

http://www.tractorby...kup-dually.html

Found a cool picture there too:

post-5603-0-89167400-1346464466_thumb.jp