Battery Woes

Lillian1961

Hello everyone!

My husband and I have a 1980 Toyota Heritage motorhome. In 2010 we took a long missions trip through the Pacific Northwest, and everything worked fine as we travelled through Washington, Idaho and parts of Montana. But it sat parked in our backyard in 2011 and most of this year. We noticed that the battery for the living space had exploded, so we bought two new batteries (one marine and one Diehard) and installed them. Everything was fine, or so we thought. We had the RV plugged into the house for several days so I could do some cleaning. After about 4 days we had trouble starting the RV and my husband decided not to start it becasuse the new battery seemed low. Now, two days later, the new Diehard battery for the engine is dead. The marine battery that runs the lights and a few other things in the RV seemed to be working and charged as the lights went on. My husband looked at the equalizer and it appears that the proper electrical lines are out to the proper posts. But he and I are both novices. Yet how could a brand new Diehard battery be totally run down? What gives? What do we need to do?

-M. Lillian

Edited by Lillian1961

sounds like there is something turned on or shorted out on the truck, not the camper. a shade tree way to see if there is something turned on or a short is to attach the ground to a charged battery, then touch the hot side cable to the + post of the battery. right before it actually touches the post if a spark flies then something is on or shorted. maybe radio is turned on but turned down, interior light that is on, any lights left on should be easy to find after dark but not always during the day. i doubt it is a problem in the coach pulling from the truck battery or the coach battery would have died too. finding a short can be a challenge. if you have rodents in the area be sure to look for chewed wires under the hood as well as in the cab. one other thing brought up on this site, is some of the older converter/chargers can't be left plugged in for long periods of time or it will "burn up" the coach battery, maybe caused the original problem with the coach battery? from what i've read here and experienced with my own plugging into shore power as you did does not charge the truck battery. maybe the new battery didn't come with a full charge? maybe defective? i'd first try charging the new battery, over night even, then check for short or something turned on and then go from there.

any battery that sets all winter and becomes discharged in the winter will freze and somtimes they breack open or all to pices. have had batterys with internal short blow up under the hood in a car. a frend got a brand new battery at wallmart and it was no good. take the new sears battery back have them charge it and put it on a test machine to make shure it does not have a defect. as 90 toy says the older coverters are known for boiling out the deep cycle battery if left on too much.

After having the battery charged and tested and found good buy a cheap test light any parts store will have them connect it between one battery post (does not matter + or-) and the removed cable if the light lights some thing is drawing current. First turn every thing off that might be on if that has no effect start removing fuses one at a time until the light goes out.Caviot it may not and at that point you'll need to seek professional help. Don't worry about the coach as its battery is still fine meaning the isolator is working.

sounds like there is something turned on or shorted out on the truck, not the camper. a shade tree way to see if there is something turned on or a short is to attach the ground to a charged battery, then touch the hot side cable to the + post of the battery. right before it actually touches the post if a spark flies then something is on or shorted. maybe radio is turned on but turned down, interior light that is on, any lights left on should be easy to find after dark but not always during the day. i doubt it is a problem in the coach pulling from the truck battery or the coach battery would have died too. finding a short can be a challenge. if you have rodents in the area be sure to look for chewed wires under the hood as well as in the cab. one other thing brought up on this site, is some of the older converter/chargers can't be left plugged in for long periods of time or it will "burn up" the coach battery, maybe caused the original problem with the coach battery? from what i've read here and experienced with my own plugging into shore power as you did does not charge the truck battery. maybe the new battery didn't come with a full charge? maybe defective? i'd first try charging the new battery, over night even, then check for short or something turned on and then go from there.

Dear 90Toyota,

Greetings in the Name of Jesus, Who loved you so much He died for you! :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for responding.

Your response reminded me that way back in 2006, I believe, I had a problem running down batteries because the radio didn't always turn off when I turned off the ignition. I have a friend who is electrically and mechanically inclined who should be able to help me with this problem. I will be sure to follow up.

Would you like me to inform you what happens once this is checked out?

Have a blessed day!

any battery that sets all winter and becomes discharged in the winter will freze and somtimes they breack open or all to pices. have had batterys with internal short blow up under the hood in a car. a frend got a brand new battery at wallmart and it was no good. take the new sears battery back have them charge it and put it on a test machine to make shure it does not have a defect. as 90 toy says the older coverters are known for boiling out the deep cycle battery if left on too much.

Dear 5 Toyota,

Thanks for your input. Sounds like good advice. However, I didn't purchase the Sears battery at Sears or at an auto parts store but at KMart. I don't think they could do this. Is there a way we can check this out as a shade tree type mechanic? If not, I will take the battery to a garage and have them test it and pay them the money. Thanks again!

Have a blessed day!

After having the battery charged and tested and found good buy a cheap test light any parts store will have them connect it between one battery post (does not matter + or-) and the removed cable if the light lights some thing is drawing current. First turn every thing off that might be on if that has no effect start removing fuses one at a time until the light goes out.Caviot it may not and at that point you'll need to seek professional help. Don't worry about the coach as its battery is still fine meaning the isolator is working.

Dear Maineah,

Thanks - I didn't know you could check it that way. I do have a friend who is mechanically and electrically inclined who probably already owns such a test light. I will contact him and ask if this can be done. If not I will go to a parts store and buy a test light.

Have a blessed day!

sorry i forgot about the marriage of k mart and sears. but they sell batterys and they shurly have the machine to hook on the battery to test it. does not need to be in the motor home

In case you cannot find the problem in a timely matter, you can install a disconnect switch on the battery.

They cost about $5 to $8 and easy to install, just remove one battery connector, put the disconnect switch on

the battery post, then connect the removed connector to the switch. The disconnect switch has a knob that you

turn one rotation around and it disconnects the battery.