Its come to my attention that a lot of people recomend buying new tires on toyhomes if they dont know the story on them.

the reason is sitting without moving is worse for a tire than moving as this huge weight ( definitely listed as more than the tire can handle) is just warping it.

So Ive come to notice a lot of people saying I just got all 6 new tires. at 1000-1500.

Well Ive bought 2 motorhomes lately and both of them had tires that had 90% of the tread, as per usual, bth had cracks on them to make me nervous.

I got my 85 a couple months ago it has 6 nankang 185/14c load range d on them. They looked suspicious so I penciled in getting all new tires, or at least 2 front tires.

I looked up how to check their date and I got some good news though

Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg

After dot the last 4 digits are the week and the year they were made ( not installed) tire manufacturers dont warrant tires 6 years old although the world is covered with plenty of 10 year old tires.

It turns out my scary front tires were 2 years old. Possibly put on this year who knows. The rears weere made 4 years ago. Again possibly put on this year.

Im not throwing away 2 year old tires with like 5k miles on them or less.

If you want everyone go ahead and tell us your tires age. I have a feeling that quite a few of the peoplee that just bought new tires have older tires than me and I almst threw them away.

Bought my Toyhouse in Mar 2010. Previous owner told me the rear tires had been put on new two years earlier and the fronts only one year ago so I thought I was good. Then I learned about date codes and found 1900 on the rear tires which was 19th week of 2000. The fronts were similar. So I parted with $700 or so to replace them.

my years ar 010 and 07 so Im doing good. I would bet i have newer tires than 90% of toyhomes.

AND going a bit csi, I believe all my tires were installed at the same time seeing as they are all nankang 185/r14 c made in taiwan

(les schwaub brand)

they all have similar wear and were put on obviously in the last 2 years. They will not be garbage canned.

This is a good bit of info and mind you, and manufacture date can be very important, but could also be misleading to how long they have been on your vehicle in some cases. Some places might have had your particular size tire on their rack for say 2 years without needing them for a customer.

Manufacturing date is a good clue to when they were made, but also having a receipt with the mileage written on it will remind you when they were put on and how many miles you have on them as well. If I bought a vehicle and the tires were anything but confirmable, I would replace them due to not knowing how the previous owner drove on them. They could have been driven on for the duration 5-10 pounds under pressure degrading the tire? After finding out that the previous owner of my Dolphin had put trailer tires on the rear 4 of my home after buying it, I wouldn’t put anything past someone unloading their vehicle. Tires can be pricey, but they and brakes are always the best insurance one can ever have, and the alternative is usually a bad outcome. Great topic, happy travels!

Tires are great.

I feel more secure aboout the tires in the dually vs the front beccause I dont think they will blow in a pair.

and my fronts were made in 2010 so they didnt have much time sitting rotting. However the date doesnt show anything other than their age.

In the event they were already like 10 years old you would have to replace them regardless.

Tires are great.

I feel more secure aboout the tires in the dually vs the front beccause I dont think they will blow in a pair.

and my fronts were made in 2010 so they didnt have much time sitting rotting. However the date doesnt show anything other than their age.

In the event they were already like 10 years old you would have to replace them regardless.

I agree Stamar, and if there are any questions about the tires in one's mind when working with a seller, see if they will come down in the price as much as think replacing the tires are going to cost you, maybe? Who knows if they have been plugged, or are starting heat separation due to under or over inflation? We are all at the mercy of our rubber when driving anything, and more so in our Toyhomes, one blowout could ruin our day, or worse. Safe travels all!

Im selling my friends camaro, it has some performance tires abut 75% tread.

She told me they were basically new. Anyhow the built date is 02, they are actually 10 years old. they are all leaking air actually but look good.

• 4 weeks later...

Its come to my attention that a lot of people recomend buying new tires on toyhomes if they dont know the story on them.

the reason is sitting without moving is worse for a tire than moving as this huge weight ( definitely listed as more than the tire can handle) is just warping it.

So Ive come to notice a lot of people saying I just got all 6 new tires. at 1000-1500.

Well Ive bought 2 motorhomes lately and both of them had tires that had 90% of the tread, as per usual, bth had cracks on them to make me nervous.

I got my 85 a couple months ago it has 6 nankang 185/14c load range d on them. They looked suspicious so I penciled in getting all new tires, or at least 2 front tires.

I looked up how to check their date and I got some good news though

Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg

After dot the last 4 digits are the week and the year they were made ( not installed) tire manufacturers dont warrant tires 6 years old although the world is covered with plenty of 10 year old tires.

It turns out my scary front tires were 2 years old. Possibly put on this year who knows. The rears weere made 4 years ago. Again possibly put on this year.

Im not throwing away 2 year old tires with like 5k miles on them or less.

If you want everyone go ahead and tell us your tires age. I have a feeling that quite a few of the peoplee that just bought new tires have older tires than me and I almst threw them away.

Just remember, that if you have tires that are over seven years old and as a result have a tire failure resulting in an accident, your insurance company may not pay out for the repair or liability. On a second note, ensure that if you are going to replace only two tires (say on the front) make sure they are exactly the same as the remaining tires. Most tires have a certain design of slip or angle deflection built into them, so as you turn into a corner, each tire has the same amount of angle deflection acting on the road. With a different set of manufacturer (or even with the same manufacturer, but with a different model) you would have one set of angles on (say the front tires) one pair of tires and potentially a different angle on the others. The end result is the potential for the vechile to "break away" and go into a tail spin ( the camper doing a 360 spin on the road) something you dont want to experience.

Brian